Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Special Collections is responsible for acquiring, processing, digitizing, and preserving unique, primary source materials. In particular, the materials focus on the university, Chattanooga, the state of Tennessee, and the American South. Interns and volunteers play a critical role in Special Collections by helping the repository create digital collections, finding aids, and exhibits of cultural heritage resources.
Internship and volunteer duties may include:
- arranging and describing archival collections;
- authoring biographical and historical notes that provide context for archival materials;
- conducting oral history interviews;
- transcribing audio and video assets;
- creating descriptive metadata in a spreadsheet;
- using scanners and cameras to digitize archival materials and rare books;
- conducting research and writing narratives for grant applications;
- and developing exhibitions, blog posts, and other outreach initiatives.
Special Collections works closely with interns and volunteers to provide experiences tailored to meet the learning needs of individuals.
Special Collections works with the following partners to provide unpaid internship and practicum experiences for undergraduate and graduate students.
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Department of Anthropology
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Department of English
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Department of History
- University of Tennessee School of Information Science
Interested parties should apply for an internship by sending a cover letter and resume to the Director of Special Collections, Carolyn Runyon, at Carolyn-Runyon@utc.edu. The cover letter should provide a description of the applicant's experience and address what the applicant hopes to gain from the internship.
To volunteer, please send a cover letter, resume, and application to the Director of Special Collections, Carolyn Runyon, at Carolyn-Runyon@utc.edu. Note that all volunteers may be subject to a background check and must sign the UTC Library Volunteer Agreement before working in Special Collections.