Electronic Resource Use Policy
Just as The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga has policies about information technology, the UTC Library has guidelines for use of electronic resources. Unlike print materials, most electronic resources are licensed, not owned, by UTC Library for use by students, faculty, and staff for their study and research purposes. The owners of each electronic resource define what they consider to be appropriate use, and they monitor use to detect potential abuse of their intellectual property.
Misuse or violation of these restrictions may result in the termination of access to the electronic resource for the entire UTC campus. The person using the equipment, software, or resource is liable for any infringement he or she may commit.
By using electronic resources licensed by UTC Library, users agree to review and comply with any applicable term and conditions that are unique to each vendor and database.
Users agree that they will not:
- Violate any copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property right associated with the electronic resource;
- Use the electronic resource for any purpose other than educational or research purposes;
- Use the electronic resource for commercial purposes;
- Excessively or systematically download or copy the electronic resource;
- Use the electronic resource in course packs or e-reserves without the appropriate permissions;
- Facilitating use or access by non-authorized users, including sharing passwords or authorized access codes;
- Redistribute copies of electronic resources to other individuals, groups, or university systems;
- Use the electronic resource in an illegal or otherwise improper manner.
For more information on users’ rights, see UTC Library Copyright and Fair Use information.
Authorized users and use:
- An authorized user is a current student, faculty or staff member of UTC;
- Persons using a computer on the UTC campus network are considered authorized users for many, but not all, electronic resources;
- When available, off-campus/remote use of electronic resources is restricted to current faculty, staff, and enrolled students at UTC;
- An authorized user may download reasonable amounts of electronic resources for educational or research purposes;
- UTC will not be held liable for any unauthorized use of electronic resources. UTC, at its discretion, will penalize unauthorized use as it sees fit.