Building Use and Conduct Policies
As part of a public university, the UTC Library is open to University affiliates and the general public as well. Both affiliates and guests may use most of the Library's materials on site whenever the Library is open.
In order to maintain a welcoming environment conducive to research and study, all Library patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner.
If you have any questions or concerns about building use guidelines, stop by one of the library service desks.
- UTC Library does not permit any behavior which is incompatible with use of the library
by its patrons or staff. Specific examples of disruptive behaviors include, but are
not limited to:
- creating excessive noise
- hostile or rowdy behavior
- harassment of patrons or staff, including sexual harassment
- signs of drunkenness or other substance abuse
- bringing bedding or excessive amounts of personal property into UTC Library
- sexual behavior
- bringing weapons into the UTC Library
- entering areas of the library marked “Staff Only” without permission
- posing a sanitary or health risk to others, including but not limited to offensive hygiene
- using the restrooms for purposes other than those for which they were intended, including but not limited to bathing
- In compliance with University policy, the use of alcohol and tobacco products is not permitted.
- UTC Library is not responsible for personal items left unattended in the Library. Unattended personal items may be subject to search and/or confiscation by UTC security personnel.
- Wheelchairs and other accessibility devices are welcome in the UTC Library.
- Other wheeled devices including hover boards, skateboards, and rollerblades must be carried.
- Bicycles are not allowed inside the library building. Bike racks are located outside the library on the Chamberlain Field courtyard and along the Vine Street side of the building.
- Identified service animals are welcome in the UTC Library. No other animals (including emotional support animals) are permitted.
- The wearing of shirts and shoes is required.
- Children must be in the immediate vicinity of and in visual contact with a parent/caregiver. Security may be contacted if the responsible adult is not present.
Patrons engaging in disruptive or prohibited behavior may be asked to cease or leave the library.
Disciplinary action for violating library policy shall be governed by the applicable provisions of the UTC Student Handbook, the UTC Faculty Handbook, UT Personnel Policy manuals, and local, state, and federal laws.
Library Meeting Rooms and Classrooms
- Due to space limitations for groups larger than six, Library Meeting Rooms are restricted to academic classes and library-related purposes. All other uses must be approved by the Library Dean.
- Library Classrooms (204, 205 and 321) can be reserved on a limited basis for one-time use by academic groups with advance approval provided that the room is free. Library Classrooms are not reservable on a recurring basis throughout the semester. Library instruction sessions take priority and other groups may be asked to reschedule at a later date if the room is needed for an instruction session.
- Groups of six or less can check out a study room key at the Circulation desk. For more information, see the Reserve a Room page.
- Devices needing electrical supply can only be used near designated outlets. Power cords may not be strung across walkways.
Posting Flyers and Announcements in the Library
The library maintains a “UTC and Community News and Events” bulletin board on the ground floor. Any library patron may post materials to this board. The following policies apply:
- Materials advertising an event will be removed following the date of the event.
- Materials that are not dated will be removed each Sunday night.
- Materials may be removed at any time at the discretion of library staff.
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closing Policy
In the case of inclement weather or other emergency, please contact the Check Out Desk at (423) 425-4501 for library hours. For the official University closing policy, see UTC's Inclement Weather Policy. In general, the library uses the following guidelines:
- If UTC is officially closed, the Library is closed.
- If UTC’s opening is officially delayed, the Library will open at the same time as the University.
- If UTC officially closes early, the Library will close at the same time as the University.
- If the inclement weather or other emergency occurs at a time when the Library is open but classes are not in session, Library hours will be determined by the Library Dean.