Student Resources

Accommodations and Assistance

Center for Academic Support and Advisement

The mission of the Center for Academic Support and Advisement is to promote academic excellence and encourage self-directed learning. CASS will academically advise freshmen and students who have not declared a major and provide programs and services to promote student success.

Counseling Center

If you find that you are struggling with stress, feeling depressed or anxious, having difficulty choosing a major or career, or have time management difficulties which are adversely impacting your successful progress at UTC, please contact the Counseling Center at 425-4438 or go to the Counseling Center for more information.

Disability Resource Center

If you are a person with a disability (e.g. physical, learning, psychiatric, vision, hearing, etc.) and think that you might need accommodations to fully participate, please contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at 425-4006 or come by the office, 108 University Center. For more information, go to the Disability Resource Center.

Office of Student Outreach and Support (SOS)

The Office of Student Outreach & Support (SOS) advocates and supports students experiencing challenges in their personal and/or academic lives. SOS staff help students navigate University administrative processes; connect with University and community resources; and develop coping, resiliency, and self-advocacy skills. Referrals can be made by students, faculty, and staff. Additionally, students can refer themselves as needed. To make a referral, submit a Community Member of Concern Referral Form at Individuals may also contact SOS by e-mailing or calling 423-425-4301.

Additionally, SOS manages Scrappy’s Cupboard, UTC’s food pantry. Scrappy’s Cupboard is free, anonymous, and no questions asked. Students needing support ranging from one meal to a week of supplies should visit Scrappy’s Cupboard. For more information, visit

Title IX

Faculty members have the responsibility to help create a safe learning environment on our campus. To accomplish this, faculty have a mandatory reporting obligation and are required to share information with the University regarding sexual misconduct, relationship violence or stalking that is disclosed during the performance of their duties.  Students may speak to someone confidentially by contacting Survivor Advocacy Services (SAS), located in the Women’s Center at 423-425-5648 (M-F, 8-5).  SAS may be contacted after hours by contacting UTCPD at 423-425-4357 and asking for the advocate on call.

Veterans Student Services

The office of Veteran Student Services is committed to serving all the needs of our veterans and assisting them during their transition from military life to that of a student. If you are a student veteran or veteran dependent and need any assistance with your transition, please refer to Green Zone or Veteran Student Services. These sites can direct you the necessary resources for academics, educational benefits, adjustment issues, veteran allies, veteran organizations, and all other campus resources serving our veterans. You may also contact the coordinator of Veteran Student Programs and Services directly at 423.425.2277. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.  

UTC Solutions Center

The IT Solutions Center provides information technology support. For assistance, call 425-4000.

Privacy and Accessibility Statements

Accessibility and privacy statements for external technology vendors that might be used in your UTC Learn course are located below.  This information is provided as part of our on-going efforts to ensure quality course design and content for all courses.  The following information also satisfies Quality Matters© Standard 6.4 for online and hybrid courses.  

Accessibility Statements





Eli Review

Google  (YouTube)





Pearson MyOMLab


Reef Polling



Privacy Statements




Eli Review



Macmillan Learning

McGraw Hill




Reef Polling






If there are additional technological tools you incorporate into your course, please contact the Walker Center for Teaching and Learning so that we may include those tools in this list.


Student Services


Students who seek admission into the University to enroll in distance education classes will follow the admissions procedures defined by the University. Students currently admitted to the University do not require additional admission to enroll in distance education courses. Specific limitations apply to students classified as foreign or international students. Enrollment of foreign students in distance education courses must be completed in coordination with the International Student Advisor.



Advising for online and distance programs is done within each college or department.  Please check with your individual advisor or contact someone in the department to get help with advisement.



All students enrolled in distance education courses may access the bookstore during its posted hours. Students may also purchase course materials from the bookstore’s online services. The student will be responsible for the shipping expense.


Bursar's Office:

The Bursar's Office is responsible for the billing and collection of student fees as well as the disbursement of financial aid funds.



All student receive a UTC email account ( when they enroll at the University.  The UTC email account is used for all official University communication, including but not limited to students’  communication with instructors about course work.  Students should check their UTC email accounts regularly.  Please visit the Undergraduate and/or Graduate Catalogs for more information regarding students responsibilities as it relates to email use.  


Financial Aid:

All students enrolled in distance education courses may apply for financial aid as controlled by Federal, State, and local regulations. Students may seek financial aid counseling through face-to-face, telephone, or asynchronous conferences.



All students enrolled in distance education courses are entitled reasonable access to library services. The library will be open to all students enrolled in distance education courses during posted hours. Students may seek reference support or other library assistance through face-to-face, telephone, or asynchronous conferences. The library’s online services (e.g., electronic databases) will be available to all students holding a valid student account. When necessary, the library will accommodate reasonable requests to delivery reference materials through a common carrier. The student is responsible for returning all reference materials by the specified date. The student will be responsible for the return shipping expense and is responsible for fees the library may assess for late returns or lost materials. 



Students wishing to enroll in distance education courses are entitled to use the online registration systems maintained by the Office of Records and Registration. The student is responsible for seeking academic advisement from his or her advisor prior to registration. The student is responsible for obtaining any necessary permission to enroll in a course.


Writing and Communication Center:

The UTC Writing & Communication Center, open to the entire UTC community, offers consultations on any type of writing, speech, or presentation, at any stage of the creation process.


Online Proctoring: 

Examples of acceptable proctoring locations include national testing centers, testing centers at a local college or university, or a librarian at a public library.  If you are in military service, your Education Officer may administer your examination.  

There may be additional fees in your online and hybrid courses for online proctoring.



Students who need help with accessibility and accommodations should contact their instructor and/or the Disability Resource Center (423-425-4006).



Students enrolled in distance education courses are eligible to receive reasonable access to tutoring services.

If you have concerns about the services provided by UTC Learn please contact the UTC Dean of Students or a higher education representative in your state of residence.