Using the YouTube Mashup
Recently, Google changed the way that YouTube videos can be searched and this is causing an issue in searching for and playing videos using the YouTube Mashup tool in UTC Learn. At this time, students cannot view videos in UTC Learn that have been added using the mashup tool. Also, you will not be able to add new videos to UTC Learn using the mashup tool.
If you used the YouTube Mashup tool to add videos to your course, students can view the videos using these instructions:
1. Right-click on the video thumbnail.
2. Select “open link in new tab” or “open link in new window.”
3. The video will open in a new tab or window and will play as expected.
If you need to add videos to your course in UTC Learn, you will need to link each video using one of two methods. The easiest method is to provide a link to the video instead of embedding it. It is also possible to manually embed a YouTube video using the html editor in the text editor. These are workarounds for using the YouTube Mashup:
Create a Web Link
- Copy the URL for the YouTube video (it is recommended that you copy the URL by first clicking Share below the video and then copying the URL displayed there)
- In UTC Learn, navigate to the Content Area where the video should be posted
- Click Build Content
- Click Web Link
- Give the link a name
- Paste the URL for the video into the URL box
- Add a description and set additional options, as appropriate
- Click the Submit button
Embed the YouTube video
- In YouTube, click the Share button below the video you want to embed
- Click the Embed tab to display the embed code
- Copy the embed code (click Show More below the embed code for additional options, like preventing YouTube from suggesting related videos at the end of the video)
- In the text editor in UTC Learn, click the html button
- A new window will open. Paste the embed code in the window
- Click the Update button
- Click the Submit button when you are done editing the text
Please contact the Walker Center for Teaching and Learning with questions at 425-4188.
Please know that Blackboard is aware of the issue and is actively working to resolve it.