UT Chattanooga International Students
This orientation is required of all new international students arriving from outside the U.S. and those transferring in from other U.S. institutions.
Please read this entire document. At the end of the orientation, print the document and sign your name as instructed. You must bring this signed statement with you to the mandatory check-in session when you arrive on campus. If you do not complete the orientation and submit the signed page, your SEVIS record will not be activated at UT Chattanooga and your F-1 status will be terminated.
Welcome to The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga!
Responsibilities of the International Student Advisor and the International Student
International Student Advisor:
- Advise F-1 students concerning immigration issues and assist with the filing of immigration benefits through SEVIS and USCIS.
- Maintain accurate reporting and record-keeping as required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Ensure university compliance with all federal rules and regulations pertaining to the tracking of F-1 international students.
The International Student Advisor must balance the responsibilities he/she has to the Department of Homeland Security, the state of Tennessee, The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) and the student. The Advisor is trained in the federal F-1 rules and regulations and is able to properly advise an F-1 student on matters of immigration to ensure the student maintain legal status while enrolled at UTC. The U.S. government ultimately holds the individual student responsible for maintaining the F-1 status. Please read the second page of the issued I-20 and specifically the section for students.
- Enroll in a full course load each fall and spring semester. Undergraduate (12 semester hours) and graduate (9 semester hours). Summer is optional enrollment.
- Consult with the International Advisor before dropping below the required course load. The academic advisor or friends may tell you that this is permitted but because F-1s have specific rules to follow, ask the international advisor before processing a drop.
- Report a change of address to the International Student Services Office (ISS) within 10 business days of the change.
- Report changes in sources of financial support to the ISS.
- Report changes to program of study to the ISS. Proof of funding must match program of study.
- Report changes in academic standing (probation, suspension, dismissal) to the ISS.
- Request work authorization through the ISS Office before accepting employment of any type.
- Notify the ISS of plans to travel outside the U.S. The ISS Office will check immigration documents.
- Report to the ISS Office upon returning to the U.S. after travel outside the U.S. ISS will make sure the SEVIS record correctly reflects travel.
- Notify the ISS upon approval or denial of a change to non-immigrant status.
- Consult with the ISS when requiring an extension to non-immigrant status.
- Notify the ISS if planning to transfer the F-1 status to another U.S. school or if planning to return to home country.
- Notify the ISS of changes in dependent status.
It is the responsibility of the student to maintain his/her F-1 student status. This includes updating the International Student Advisor with the above listed information.