Scholarship award of up to $5000 a year
for first-time international freshmen
How to apply for the scholarship?
You can only apply for this scholarship after you have been fully accepted to UTC and have received your acceptance letter with UTC ID.
STEP 1: Complete your international undergraduate application at utc.edu/apply, pay the $30 application fee, and provide all required documents. Receive your acceptance letter and UTC ID.
STEP 2: Complete the “Why UTC?” project. See below for more details.
STEP 3: Submit your online Scholarship Application Form.
STEP 4: All submissions will undergo a review process. If you are selected, you will receive a scholarship to help you pay your tuition and university fees. The scholarship will be deposited into your student account in two installments – one in the fall semester and one in the spring.
The Center for Global Education at UTC will appoint a selection committee that will review the applications. The submissions will be evaluated based on the application content and whether eligibility requirements have been filled. The following factors may be taken into consideration: TOEFL or IELTS scores, on-campus residency, Go Global Themed Living Community membership and your “Why UTC?” project.
Please note that steps 1, 2 and 3 need to be completed in order for your scholarship application to be reviewed. Funds are subject to availability, and the Center for Global Education reserves the right to suspend the scholarship program at any time. Since funding is limited, consideration will only be given to students entering UTC in the fall semester.
Who is eligible to receive the scholarship?
- International first-time freshmen who have completed their UTC international undergraduate application and have received an acceptance letter with a UTC ID are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- UTC defines international students as F1 visa applicants/holders.
- International students who are currently recipients of other scholarships are NOT eligible for the UTC International Undergraduate Student Scholarship.
- Students must maintain active F1 status in order to receive the second installment of the scholarship.
- Students must be registered for at least 12 credit hours. Students who are placed on a reduced course load are NOT eligible to receive the second installment of the scholarship.
- Students whose records indicate Code of Conduct violations or Honor Code violations will NOT be eligible to receive the scholarship.
- Students must get a minimum 2.5 GPA during their first semester at UTC to receive the second installment of the scholarship.
- During their first semester at UTC, students must participate in extra-curricular activities organized by the Center for Global Education and provide either a multi-media or a written report by the end of November. The activities may include International Tea Time, Global Spotlight, International Education Week, International Buddy program events, CGE field trips, etc. The details of this assignment will be announced in the scholarship award letter.
“Why UTC?” project
As part of your scholarship application, you must complete one of the following projects: 1) record a 3-minute video, 2) create a short presentation, 3) write an essay between 500 and 750 words in length, 4) create a short animation or 5) create a poster to explain why you selected the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Alternatively, you can also provide evidence of other extraordinary achievements.
If you choose to create multi-media content, you will be asked to provide a link to it in the scholarship application. You will have to publish your content online first (e.g. youtube.com, youku.com, etc.). You will not be able to upload your content in the application portal.
If you require accommodations to complete this project, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholarship application deadline is July 1.
- Scholarship recipients will receive their award letters by mid July.
Frequently asked questions
The scholarship is up to $5000 per one academic year. The scholarship is not renewable.
The deadline to submit the scholarship application is July 1.
The scholarship will be applied to your UTC account in two installments. The first one will be deposited when you register for fall classes. The money will be used to help you pay your tuition and university fees. You will receive the second installment at the beginning of the spring semester. You will still be responsible for any other tuition, university, housing or meal plan fees that will not be covered by your scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will receive a notification email and an award letter.
Other terms and conditions
All scholarships are subject to change based on funding availability and are awarded at the discretion of the Center for Global Education at UTC.
The scholarship will be placed in the student's account and be used to pay off their fees. The scholarship recipient is responsible for all other charges including tuition, university fees, health insurance, housing or meal plan charges if applicable.
By submitting the scholarship application, the student gives permission to UTC to publish in print, electronic and video format their likeness, the digital material submitted as part of their application, their name or image in publicity materials. The student gives their consent for photographing, filming, audio/videotaping, and/or direct transmission of television signals of their image and voice, and releases to The University of Tennessee all rights of any kind to the materials in which they appear.
Further, they acknowledge that their name and biographical material, portrait, picture, likeness, or voice may be used for purposes consistent with The University of Tennessee’s mission of teaching, research and service, including the promotion and publicizing of the materials in which their image/voice appear. Such uses as may be made will not constitute a direct endorsement by the student of any product or service.