We recommend planning ahead and checking your syllabi required technology (hardware and software) needs. Please make sure you have access to and ensured the following for your personal equipment:
- Laptop or desktop computer, tablet or smartphone – run all required operating system and security updates, and third party software updates.
- Microphone – verify and test whether one is built into your device, and/or accepts external devices such as USB microphones and headphones.
- Webcam – verify and test whether one is built into your device, and/or accepts external devices such as a USB camera for video conferencing.
- Internet – verify and test whether your commercially provided internet (ex. Comcast, AT&T, etc) or wireless hotspot connections (through your mobile phone) are sufficient for video conferencing.
If you are unable to secure the necessary resources for your classes, UTC provides two paths for technology use:
If you have a temporary need (under 24 hours), please visit the 1st floor Check Out desk of the library to rent equipment at no cost. In-person use of library labs, as well as remote access of campus labs for niche software, will also be available.
- If you are unable to secure the equipment you need on an ongoing basis, please fill out and submit the student technology request form. For semester-long loans, the Dean of Students Office will review requests and once approved, UTC Library will reach out to you to schedule pick-ups and clarify any specific needs you might have. Semester-long assistance may include:
- Windows 10 laptops and Chromebooks
- Mobile Wi-Fi hotspots (depending on your location)
- Graphing Calculators
Please be aware that equipment is in limited supply and we will do our best to fulfill approved requests.
Internet Provider Options
Need internet or Wi-Fi? Here is information from national providers:
Test access to your equipment and resources and contact the UTC Help Desk if you have any questions.
You can check your email when you are away from campus. Check it with a web browser or on your phone or mobile device. If you will be away from your email or checking it less frequently, don’t forget to update your Out of Office message.
Collaboration & File Sharing
Save your files online so you can get to them from anywhere. IT recommends Office 365 and Google for online file storage for students. Do you need to work on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with your project team or classmates? Office 365 and Google support online collaboration.
Want to chat with classmates or your instructor? Teams is the answer and is available in the Microsoft Software Center for download at https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads. The Teams app is not part of the standard Office 365 Apps install.
Canvas also has a collaboration feature, so check with your instructor if that will be used for a specific course.
Student Software for Download
This software is available for enrolled students to download.
Access to Courses on Canvas and Zoom
Best Practices and Resources for UTC Students
Access to the Library's E-Resources
Instructions are available on the Library’s website.
Need other IT services?