Preparing for the Semester
*Please note that content on this site is regularly updated as new developments arise.
Due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, UTC will continue to offer a mix of in-person and online courses. Central IT, along with the Library and Walker Center for Teaching and Learning, provide a variety of services to connect you with professors, other students, and campus resources, so that learning can continue uninterrupted.
We recommend planning ahead and checking your syllabi required technology (hardware and software) needs. Please make sure you have access to and ensured the following for your personal equipment:
- Laptop or desktop computer, tablet or smartphone – run all required operating system and security updates, and third party software updates.
- Microphone – verify and test whether one is built into your device, and/or accepts external devices such as USB microphones and headphones.
- Webcam – verify and test whether one is built into your device, and/or accepts external devices such as a USB camera for video conferencing.
- Internet – verify and test whether your commercially provided internet (ex. Comcast, AT&T, etc) or wireless hotspot connections (through your mobile phone) are sufficient for video conferencing.
If you do not have the necessary resources for your classes, UTC Library provides two paths for technology use:
Semester-long assistance may include:
- Windows 10 laptops and Chromebooks
- Mobile Wi-Fi hotspots (depending on your location)
- Software (see Central IT’s list of software available for download)
Upon submission of your request, UTC Library may reach out by phone and/or email to better understand your needs. Please be aware that all equipment is in limited supply and we will do the best we can to meet all requests.
The most up-to-date information about UTC's response to the Coronavirus is available at utc.edu/coronavirus.
Internet Provider Options
Need internet or Wi-Fi? Here is information from national providers:
Test access to your equipment and resources and contact the UTC Help Desk if you have any questions.
You can check your email when you are away from campus. Check it with a web browser or on your phone or mobile device. If you will be away from your email or checking it less frequently, don’t forget to update your Out of Office message.
Collaboration & File Sharing
Save your files online so you can get to them from anywhere. IT recommends Office 365 and Google for online file storage for students. Do you need to work on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with your project team or classmates? Office 365 and Google support online collaboration.
Want to chat with classmates or your instructor? Teams is the answer and is available in the Microsoft Software Center for download at https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads. The Teams app is not part of the standard Office 365 Apps install.
Canvas also has a collaboration feature, so check with your instructor if that will be used for a specific course.
Student Software for Download
This software is available for enrolled students to download.
Access to Courses on Canvas and Zoom
Best Practices and Resources for UTC Students
Access to the Library's E-Resources
Instructions are available on the Library’s website.
Need other IT services?