Susan Lazenby began her career in retail management just after college. This combined
a love of people and a passion for learning new things. Her career moved her to San
Francisco, but a love for the south and family brought her back to Chattanooga. She
has a husband and 2 children who are incredibly funny and smart. She loves working
for her alma mater UTC. She has worked in the IT department since 2007. She has managed
the Student Help Desk, Technology Center and Communications for the IT department.
Cats or Dogs?
Right now, 2 cats. The kids want a dog though, so who knows?
Where is the farthest place you have traveled?
New Zealand and Australia. I went as a teenager and would love to go again, but if
I could go anywhere I would spend a month in Italy.
If you were a detective, who would be your sidekick?
I think I would pick Jordan Spencer for my sidekick. He is hilarious and great at
taking notes. I would also bring along Carson Coe, because he could fix any technical
problems we might encounter, in addition to providing witty banter for my faithful
What do you do when you aren't working?
I hang out with my favorite people in the world, my family and my friends. I love
that I am surrounded by talented, witty, intelligent people.
What is your favorite vacation spot?
Cumberland Island, Ga is probably one of the most amazing places I have ever been
on earth. Who wouldn't love, beaches, forests, ruins, wild horses and camping?
May 1997 University of Tennessee at Chattanooga B.A;
English Literature and Humanities, International Studies
2007-Current University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Manager - Student Help Desk and Technology Center
- Recruit, hire and train staff of around 40 student workers, 2 term worker and full
time Assistant Manager for the Technology Center and Student Helpdesk
- Share Point Trainer for new users on campus
- Work with Students who use the Student Technology Center and Student Help desk to
make sure their needs are met
- Manage payroll, leave, scheduling, conflict resolution, goal setting and appointment
- Maintain Student Technology Center Web site with current data
- Coordinated interdepartmental cooperation with Interior Design Department to redesign
the Technology Center Space in order to fit changing needs of student body
- Work with Unum to source donation of needed furnishings to fit within Design Department
plan. Estimated value of 250k+
- Planned semi-annual gaming tournaments for students. Funded by sponsors and ACE (Association
of Campus Entertainment) who provided prizes and food
- Document policy and work needs of computer lab workers and Student Help Desk. Input
data into manageable form on IT WIKI (information database) for future Managers. Manage
the transition of this data into SharePoint
- Redefine training needs of students such as focusing on Customer Service. Met with
students to ensure development of lab goals and personal goals
- Plan events for students working with on campus organizations such as ACE (Association
of Campus Entertainment) and the SGA (Student Government Association) as budget permits
- Assisted in writing the IT portions of our SACS (Southern Association of Colleges
and Schools) compliance documents
- IT representative on the ESC (Exempt Staff Council) committee, representing 50+ full
time exempt employees
- Serving on the TAG (Training Advisory Group) committee, reviewing current training
policies of the University while identifying needs and growth areas.
- Co-chair of the Customer Service Task Force- working with a group of UTC colleagues
to establish a culture shift at UTC that will include a focus on Customers, both internally
- Chaired the Financial Wellness Committee to facilitate the financial security of the
employees of UTC. Developing a monthly training course schedule with guest speakers
while providing an opportunity for individuals on campus to utilize resources more
- Customer Service Trainer- Utilizing both new and developed material to co-facilitate
customer service training on campus
2002-2007 Banana Republic Chattanooga, TN
Manager - Customer Experience
- Managed staff of 40 employees ensuring correct scheduling and staffing
- Planned in store events such as special sales, training and parties for managers and
- Researched company policies with upper management to make sure policy were kept
- Communicated with management and sales team to ensure store ran smoothly and all pertinent
information was delivered accurately and timely
- Implemented new company policies, such as drastic changes in return time period, payroll
and loss prevention policies, that affected customers and employees so that transition
period was smooth
2000–2002 Gap Outlet Calhoun, GA
- Analyzed current business trends and changed visual merchandising within store to
maximize gross margin and sell through percents of units
- Used Excel spreadsheets to analyze business trends and gave feedback to District Manager
in order to increase store sales and productivity
- Projected and planned sales to maximize payroll dollars and re-evaluated current sales
to leverage sales and dollars for the month, quarter and year
- Recruited and retained quality individuals to build a strong core staff that understood
the brand and upheld company image and standards
- Built and maintained training programs so employees were motivated and efficient
- Planned and opened 2 new stores before deadlines and ensured they are fully staffed
and within budget
- Trained new managers so that they could transfer to other stores and fill staffing
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts: Annual Auction 2008-current
- Acted as Auction co-Vice President. Worked with parents in the school to coordinate
fundraising and in-kind donations. Helped develop and update website with information
about the auction. Worked with web developer to manage content on the site; updated
item descriptions, managed input of user ID’s and provided data analysis of site for
auction coordinators. Handled auction on site activities and planned events. Managed
AVA: 4Bridges Arts Festival, Fundraising and Event set up 2002-2003
Hilltop Neighborhood Association: Event Planning and Neighborhood engagement
- Co-hosted fundraising event to benefit Chattanooga women and local non-profits