Check a Shared Document In/Out in SharePoint
Some of SharePoint's functionality depends on ActiveX, which is only supported in Internet Explorer (32-bit). If you're using a web browser that is not Internet Explorer and you run into problems, try using Internet Explorer in compatibility mode instead. For more information about SharePoint browser support, select your version of SharePoint: SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2007.
You must have been given permission to access the SharePoint site that the file you want to check in/out is located on in order to check the file in/out.
- Open your web browser to the SharePoint site that has the document you need to check in/out
- Select the 'Documents' tab from the Quick Access Ribbon
- Click the check box next to the document that you need to check in/out
- Under the 'Edit Document' section of the 'Documents' tab, select 'Check Out' (or 'Check
In', depending on which option is available)
- If the document is already checked out, the 'Check Out' option will be grayed out
- When you are finished making changes to the document, you can select 'Check In'
- If you do not want to keep any of the changes you made, select 'Discard Check Out'
Contact the Solutions Center by calling (423) 425-4000.
- Say you are having trouble checking a shared document in/out in SharePoint.
- To speed up the process, mention what troubleshooting steps you have already taken.