LEARNING FROM HOME
Preparing Your Home Equipment
Don't have equipment at home? Complete this form.
Make sure you have tested your access to the following equipment at home:
- Laptop or desktop computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Microphone – this may be built into your laptop or computer, or you may use an external device such as a USB microphone or headphones.
- Webcam – a camera may already be built into your laptop, but you can also use an external USB camera for video conferencing.
- Internet – either commercially provided (ex. Comcast, AT&T, etc), or a wireless hotspot through your mobile phone.
Don't have internet? Here is information from national providers:
- WiFi Locator for Chattanooga area provides local to Chattanooga access for free wi-fi including EPB Quick Connect Locations
- FCC agreement stating that providers will waive late fees, not cutoff service for lack of payment, and open hot-spots.
- Comcast COVID-19 response: offers free WiFi for 2 months to low income families plus all Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time
- Charter Free Internet offer for 2 months
- AT&T COVID-19 response: offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families
- Verizon COVID-19 response: no special offers, but following the FCC agreement.
- Sprint COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, provides unlimited data to existing customers, and, starting Tuesday, 3/17/2020, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge (I expect others will follow).
- T-Mobile COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- Free wi-fi hotspots sponsored by Spectrum: map to locate free wi-fi hotspots in your area.
Be prepared! Test access to your equipment and resources and contact the UTC Help Desk if you have any questions.
You can check your email when you are away from campus. Check it with a web browser or on your phone or mobile device. If you will be away from your email or checking it less frequently, don’t forget to update your Out of Office message.
Collaboration & File Sharing
Save your files online so you can get to them from anywhere. IT recommends Office 365 and Google for online file storage for students. Do you need to work on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with your project team or classmates? Office 365 and Google support online collaboration.
Want to chat with classmates or your instructor? Teams is the answer and is available in the Microsoft Software Center for download at https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads. The Teams app is not part of the standard Office 365 Apps install.
Canvas also has a collaboration feature, so check with your instructor if that will be used for a specific course.
Student Software for Download
This software is available for enrolled students to download.
Access to Courses on Canvas and Zoom
Access to the Library's E-Resources
Instructions are available on the Library’s website.