Room Assignment Guide for Incoming Fall 2018 Freshmen
Freshmen Live On Requirement
- All first year Freshmen are required to live on campus.
- Students may apply for an exception if they: live within a 45 mile radius with a parent or legal guardian, are married, have a child(ren), and/or have medical condition preventing them from living in a campus environment.
- Log in to Manage My Housing to complete the Residency Exception Request form.
- In order to complete a housing application you must be admitted to the university and have set up your UTC ID and password.
- Your UTC ID consists of three letters and three numbers (abc123) provided in your acceptance packet.
- To set up your UTC ID and Password go to iam.utc.edu and follow the New User instructions.
- Please note it may take a day or two after being admitted to be able to log in to the Manage My Housing system.
Review Building and Rates
- Building preferences are not guaranteed and are subject to availability.
- Freshmen will be able to select from the following buildings:
- North Campus - Johnson Obear, Stagmaier, Lockmiller & West Campus
- South Campus - Guerry & Decosimo
- Rates are for the 2017/2018 academic year. Students should anticipate a change for the 2018/2019 academic year.
- All freshmen and sophomores who live on campus are required to purchase a meal plan.
- Review the meal plan options : Campus Dish
- Although meal plans are chosen through the housing website, please direct all meal plan questions to the Mocs Card Office at (423) 425-5444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communication between Housing and Students
- All communication is through the STUDENT’S UTC email account!
- If you have questions you may call 423-425-4304 or email email@example.com from your UTC email account.
- We would like to remind you how quickly our housing fills. It is important for you to apply for housing as soon as you are accepted into the University.
Residential Learning Communities
- Residential Learning Communities provide a unique atmosphere for residents who share common interests and cultivate an environment that supports personal growth through academic and social programming. Your decision to live in one of these exciting communities will make an impact on you for the rest of your life. Take the time to read about the different opportunities to get involved with RLC at UTC!
- Do you know someone attending UTC? Would you like to live with them? If so, exchange
full names and UTC IDs.
- Roommate Pairs Only - students will only be able to list 1 roommate preference on their application.
- Incoming freshmen can only be matched with incoming freshmen.
- Only mutual requests will be considered
Roommate preferences are not guaranteed and are subject to room availability.
One person will need to initiate the roommate pair. Discuss among each other who should do this as assignments will be done based on the creators application complete date and building preferences.
Once the roommate pairing has been started through Manage My Housing the 2nd person will receive an email to accept the request to join the roommate pair. Once accepted by the 2nd person, it becomes a mutual request.
The pairing creator can add, delete, or change the roommate pair at any time. If changes are made by the creator a notification of the change will be emailed to the 2nd roommate.
Internet Explorer (IE) is not compatible with Manage My Housing, please use a different browser and enable pop-ups.
Read all the instructions then click the APPLY NOW button at the bottom of the page:
Log in to Manage My Housing
a. Enter your UTC ID and password
b. Click Manage my Housing twice
c. Click "Apply for Housing"
There are approximately 10 steps in the application. Click NEXT after each step
- Profile Information
- Emergency Contact Information
- Optional Contact Information
- Housing Contract (view)
- Parental Guarantor (view)
- Room Preferences
- Roommate Preferences & Roommate Matching Preferences
- Residential Learning Communities
- Meal Plan
- Pay $25 application fee (onetime, non-refundable fee)
- Acceptable forms of payment:
- Credit Card - VISA or MasterCard
- The payment receipt will be emailed to the UTC account once submitted.
- Acceptable forms of payment:
- After paying the $25 application fee you will be able to view the summary page of your application.
You may update your preferences (roommate or building) at any time. This will NOT change your application complete date. Do not wait for friends to apply together, go ahead and submit your application as soon as you are admitted to the university.
You may update your preferences at any time. However, you must have updates submitted before the assignment date in order for it to take effect.
- Assignments are made based upon the student’s application complete date (earliest first).
- If you joined a roommate pairing, assignments will be based on application complete date and building preferences of the group creator.
- Building preferences will be reviewed in the order listed on a student's application. Assignments will be made based on room availability.
Assignment Dates & Deadlines
- Check your UTC EMAIL ACCOUNT on the dates below.
- You will receive either a "You've been assigned" or "Assignment Pending" email by 5:00pm EST.
- Not all students will be assigned each date.
- Once you have been assigned a room, you will have 10 (ten) calendar days to pay your $400 pre-payment and electronically sign your contract to confirm your room.
- Should your plans to attend to UTC change, The pre-payment may be refundable in full if cancellation is received prior to May 1, 2018. If cancellation is received prior to June 1, 2018 student will be refunded 50% of the pre-payment. After June 1, 2018 there are no refunds.
- Student wishing to cancel their housing need to complete the Housing Cancellation Request through their Manage My Housing account.
- Failure to agree to the contract AND pay the $400 prepayment within the required 10 days will result in your room assignment and application being cancelled.
- Only a certain number of rooms will be assigned on each assignment date.
- If you are not assigned a room on an assignment date, your application will remain active you receive and assignment.
- Decline to go to the next round -- You may request to decline your assignment and be placed back into the pool of applications
for the next assignment date.
- Choosing to go into the next assignment date does not change your application complete date.
- Going into the next assignment date is risky and does not guarantee that you will be placed in one of your preferred buildings.
- Please keep in mind that the number of rooms available is reduced during each assignment date.
- It is university policy that all freshmen live on campus. Should on-campus housing space become filled, please rest assured that you will be provided temporary accommodations (overflow housing) until we can provide you a permanent room assignment.
- Check your UTC EMAIL ACCOUNT on the dates below.
Residential Learning Communities are a collaborative effort amongst Housing and Residence Life and our colleagues across the institution. All communities share a common interest in the personal growth, academic success, and holistic development of our students. For more information view: Residential Learning Communities page.
ASSIGNMENT DATES & DEADLINES
|Application Opens||Wednesday, November 1, 2017|
|Assignments Start (1st Round)||Thursday, March 29, 2018|
|1st Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, April 8, 2018|
|2nd Round of Assignments||Thursday, April 12, 2018|
|2nd Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, April 22, 2018|
|3rd Round of Assignments||Thursday, April 26, 2018|
|3rd Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, May 6, 2018|
|4th Round of Assignments||Thursday, May 10, 2018|
|4th Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, May 20, 2018|
|5th Round of Assignments||Thursday, May 24, 2018|
|5th Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, June 3, 2018|
|6th Round of Assignments||Thursday, June 7, 2018|
|6th Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, June 17, 2018|
|7th Round of Assignments||Thursday, June 21, 2018|
|7th Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, July 1, 2018|
|8th Round of Assignments||Thursday, July 5, 2018|
|8th Round Confirmation Deadline||Sunday, July 15, 2018|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
All communication is through the STUDENT’S UTC email account! Once assigned you will receive an email with instructions on how to confirm the assignment by paying the $400 pre-payment.
Click My MOCS Net
Log in using your UTC ID & Password (included in your admissions packet)
Once logged in click “Mocs Mail+” in the top right corner
All students with completed applications are in each assignment pool. Each time assignments are made only a certain number of rooms and applicants are assigned.
All rooms cancelled for non-payment are available during the next assignment date for those students remaining in the assignment pool.
The building you requested did not have space at the time of assignment to honor your request.
The request was NOT mutual or there was not enough space within the same apartment to pair you together.
You may request to cancel your assignment and be placed back into the pool of applications for the next assignment date. Choosing to go into the next assignment date does not change your application complete date. Going into the next assignment date is risky and does not guarantee that you will be placed in one of your preferred buildings. Please keep in mind that the number of rooms available is reduced during each assignment date.
Students who do not pay the $400 prepayment within the 10 days will have their application and assignment cancelled for non-payment. If you still plan to attend UTC, email firstname.lastname@example.org and request that your application be reactivated, you will then be eligible for the next assignment date.
You may email email@example.com and request to cancel your assignment and be placed back into the pool for the next assignment date.
Going into the next assignment date is risky and does not guarantee that you will be placed in one of your preferred buildings. Please keep in mind that the number of rooms available is reduced during each assignment date.
Should your plans to attend to UTC change the pre-payment may be refundable in full if cancellation is received prior to May 1, 2018. If cancellation is received prior to June 1, 2018 student will be refunded 50% of the pre-payment. After June 1, 2018 there are no refunds.
If two students in the same suite/apartment agree to swap rooms they both must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, from their UTC email account, agreeing to the swap. Include in the email: Your name, UTC ID & your assignment AND the person’s name, UTC ID and room you wish to switch to. An email will be returned when the requests are mutual and the swap has been completed.
After move-in students will need to talk with their Resident Director about bed swaps and/or room changes.
In order to provide the best service for our large student body, assignments are divided up into 3 categories: Incoming freshmen, Transfers and Current students. Each group goes through room assignments at different times, therefore students can only be matched as roommates if they are in the same category.
Log into your Manage My Housing account
Click "Mange My Housing" twice
Click "Apply for Housing"
Select the preference you are updating
Residential Learning Community
Make sure you click "submit" for changes to be saved
*Updating your preferences will NOT change your application complete date.
Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) provide residents a unique, inclusive residential learning experience that takes education outside of the classroom and allows residents to learn where they live alongside students with similar academic interests and values.
Please Note: If you apply and are accepted to a RLC you will be assigned a room in the designated building. Please review the Housing Rates . The application and acceptance process for RLC’s will end in March 2018.
For more information click RLC's
Please complete the Housing Cancellation Request form by logging into your Manage My Housing.
- The pre-payment may be refundable in full if cancellation is received prior to May 1, 2018. If cancellation is received prior to June 1, 2018 student will be refunded 50% of the pre-payment. After June 1, 2018 there are no refunds.
You will also want to contact admissions to cancel your enrollment. https://www.utc.edu/new-student-family-programs/incomingcancellation.php