Winter Break Closing
All residence halls will close on Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2018 for Winter Break.
Winter Break Check Out Process
- All residents are required to do a winter break check-out with the Residence Life staff.
- Residents must check out within 24 hours of their last final.
- Residents will sign up for a check-out time with their Resident Assistant.
- Residents will turn in their room key to their Resident Assistant at check-out. Students will not have access to their apartments during winter break.
- Residents may leave belongings in their room; however, UTC Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for items left in rooms.
- Student should reference procedures given to them by their Resident Assistant to ensure a proper check-out.
- December Graduates:
- Complete a Housing Cancellation Request (form available through Manage My Housing)
- Schedule a check-out appointment with your Resident Director.
- Graduates must be checked out by the Sunday after graduation.
- After Closing:
- Resident Directors will complete final walk-throughs of all rooms/apartments. Damage charges are assessed by the Resident Director at this time.
- Maintenance will enter rooms/apartments to complete repairs.
- RBS cleaning company will enter vacant rooms for cleaning.
- Fall semester room assignments carry over to the spring semester.
- If you would like a new room for the spring semester you must complete a room change during the fall semester.
- All fall semester room changes must be requested before Thanksgiving. Approved/denied notification will be completed by Dec. 1, by the main housing office.
Permission to Stay Over Break
Designated Winter Break housing facilities are Boling and Stophel Apartments. Only residents that are residing in Boling & Stophel will be considered for Winter Break stay over.
All requests to stay over Winter Break must be submitted in writing to, and pre-approved by an Assistant Director. Requests for Winter Break stay over will be considered in mid November. Requests submitted after last day of classes will not be considered.
If approved, an additional charge of $209 ($11 per night for 19 nights) for residing on campus during the Winter Break period (December 12 - January 4) will be assessed to your account.
If you have additional questions, regarding the Winter Break Policy, or to submit your stay over request, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Breaking Your Contract
(Housing Cancellation Request)
Read your housing contract carefully!
By default, all housing contracts are for the academic year (Fall and Spring semester). Our policy states:“CANCELLATION (Resident): Housing facilities are rented for the academic year beginning on the Commencement Date and ending on the Expiration Date. No Resident may withdraw from the housing except in case of extreme necessity and approved by the University. Cancellation of registration or academic suspension does not automatically release the Resident from the contract. Subletting by the Resident is not permitted. Students should submit their request to break their nine month housing contract by filling out the "Housing Cancellation Request" form located through Manage My Housing. Residents who are permitted to break their housing contract will be subject to a penalty.”As discussed above, you will need to log into your Manage My Housing and submit a "Housing Cancellation Request" if you wish to submit a request to break your contract. If you are approved by our office to break your contract, in most cases a housing penalty equivalent to one month's rent will still be assessed for all upperclassmen. Freshmen Only: Furthermore, your contract explains the residential requirements governing freshmen, and it reads:Freshmen requesting to be released from Housing must remember that they are required to live on campus for one academic year. Freshmen withdrawing from housing will be assessed a penalty for terminating your contract. Penalty charges will be the equivalent to the remaining monies due on your housing contract for the academic year. If you have any questions, please call us so we can provide any additional information you may need to make an informed decision: (423) 425-4304.