Brock Scholars Program
Whether you’re coming to UTC as a first-time freshman, our programs offer opportunities for you to connect and make the most of your time at UTC. If you’re interested in learning more about the UTC Honors College, please join us during one of our Virtual Information Sessions.
The Brock Scholars Program is a four-year interdisciplinary program for academically gifted and motivated students who pursue education that nurtures their intellects, sense of social responsibility and drive to lead.
Our mission is three-fold:
- To attract the most academically-qualified students to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga by offering uniquely enriching interdisciplinary experiences, special opportunities for advancement, a supportive community of scholars and a purposeful path to leadership.
- To involve students, faculty, staff, alumni and community partners in a spirit of intellectual inquiry, social responsibility and cross-disciplinary understanding.
- To create a ready team of diversely talented, inquiring and collaborative young scholars who will provide the University with fresh ideas and ways to excellence.
Innovations in Honors Program
Current UTC Students and Incoming Transfer Students
Innovations in Honors is a program for transfer students and currently enrolled UTC students who have a minimum of four semesters remaining in their program. This program is a problem-based, community embedded learning experience that challenges students to develop critical and design thinking skills in addition to applied creativity and collaborative leadership.
Required curriculum for IIH students is 15 hours of honors course work, constituted as follows:
- A two-semester Innovation Lab course sequence (three hours each semester for a total of six hours)
- UHON 2000—Sophomore Honors Studies and UHON 3000–Junior Honors Studies (one hour each, for a total of two hours)
- One additional, three-hour course from the Brock Scholars Seminars or other approved experiential course work
- A two-semester honors thesis (either a Departmental Honors thesis or an Honors College thesis) for a total of four hours
Admission to IIH is by application during the spring semester prior to fall enrollment.
UTC Honors Residential Learning Community
Incoming freshmen who live on campus are required to participate in the UTC Honors Residential Learning Community. This community is has historically been located in Stagmaier Hall. Due to COVID-19, the community was relocated to Boling in an effort to maintain social distancing protocols. Information regarding the location of the Fall 2021 freshmen students will be released in the spring.
UTC Honors Upperclassman Residential Learning Community
After their freshman year, honors students who choose to live on campus have the option to live in our newly created UTC Honors Upperclassman RLC. This community will be located in the UC Foundation Apartments. Transfer students and current UTC students who apply to the Innovations in Honors Program can indicate their interest in the community on their application.