Innovations in Honors
A program for transfer students and current UTC sophomores and juniors.
Beginning in Fall 2021, the Innovations in Honors Program will be offered as an academic minor at UTC!
Applications for Fall 2021 admission to the Innovations in Honors Program will be accepted from December 1, 2020 until June 1, 2021 for currently enrolled UTC students.
Transfer students may apply until June 1, 2021.
The Innovations in Honors (IIH) Program is designed for transfer students and current UTC students at the sophomore and junior levels.
It is a problem-based, community-embedded learning experience that challenges students to develop critical thinking, design thinking, applied creativity and collaborative leadership.
Using the UTC campus and the city of Chattanooga as active learning laboratories, students work closely with faculty members and civic partners in a two-semester Innovation Lab course to tackle authentic, real-world problems and benefit the larger shared community.
The Future is Here
The American Association of Colleges and Universities says that innovation and entrepreneurial approaches to problem solving are the future of academia and student learning. Read the article:
The required curriculum for IIH students is 18-24 hours of honors course work, constituted as follows:
Innovation Scholars must complete all of the following (12 credit hours total):
- UHON 2000r – Sophomore Honors Studies (1 credit hour)
- UHON 2850r – Innovation Lab I (3 credit hours)
- UHON 2860r – Innovation Lab II (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3000r – Junior Honors Studies (1 credit hour)
- Departmental Honors or Honors College Thesis: 4 hours in any 4995 course
Innovation Scholars also select any of the following courses for a minimum of 6 credit hours or a maximum of 12 credit hours. (Honors credit from other approved programs or colleges may be substituted for these requirements if they are included in a previous articulation agreement or have received permission from the dean.)
General Education Seminars:
- UHON 3510r – Topics in Historical Understanding (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3520r – Topics in Literature (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3530r – Topics in Thought, Values and Beliefs (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3540r – Topics in Visual and Performing Arts (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3550r – Topics in Behavioral and Social Sciences (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3560r – Topics in Natural Science: Non-Laboratory (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3565r – Topics in Natural Science: Laboratory (4 credit hours)
- UHON 3570r – Topics in Mathematics (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3580r – Topics in Statistics (3 credit hours)
- UHON 3590r – Topics in Non-Western Cultures (3 credit hours)
Experiential Learning Courses:
- UHON 3950r – Honors Experiential Learning: Internship (0-3 credit hours)
- UHON 3960r – Honors Experiential Learning: Leadership (0-3 credit hours)
- UHON 3970r – Honors Experiential Learning: Service Learning (0-3 credit hours)
- UHON 3980r – Honors Experiential Learning: Study Abroad/Study Away (0-3 credit hours)