- Ph.D. Nutrition and Food Systems, The University of Southern Mississippi
- M.S. Nutrition and Dietetics, Marywood University
- M.B.Ch.B. Medicine and General Surgery, University of Baghdad
- Using Socio-Ecological Model to address health and nutrition needs of population.
- Community-based approaches to promote healthy dietary habits
- Nutrition education intervention through farmer’s market
- Acculturation and changes in eating habits of international students and immigrants in the U.S.
- Breastfeeding’s policies and practices in the U.S.
- Professional member in national and state associations including Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, American Public Health Association, America Heart Association, and Comparative and International Education Society.
- Editorial Board Member of several journals including Journal of Food Research and Nutrition, Journal of Nutrition, Diet and Human Health, and Journal of International Students.
- Research presenter in international and regional conferences including FNCE 2019, APHA 2016, CIES 2018, Experimental Biology 2014, and Dakota Conference on Rural and Public Health 2018.
- Implement and direct North Dakota Nutrition, a community-based nutrition education program through the farmer’s market.
- Provide nutrition consulting services and presentations for numerous organization and events including Alive & Well Podcast, Spirit Lake Diabetes Awareness Day, and USDA Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center.
- Deliver medical care as a primary care physician to diverse underserved communities in the Middle East.
- Alakaam, A. (2019). Demand for lactation leads to flowing supply of success: Support requested from states to improve breastfeeding practices. JMWH. 1526-9523. doi.org/10.1111/jmwh.12977
- Alakaam, A., Lemacks, J., Yadrick, K., Connell, C., Choi, H., & Newman, R. (2018). Maternity nurses’ knowledge and practice of breastfeeding in Mississippi. MCN.43(4), 225-230. doi:10.1097/NMC.0000000000000437
- Alakaam, A., Lemacks, J., & Parker, A. (2018). Reasons for non-attendance nutrition appointment among medically underserved community in rural Mississippi. Journal of Epidemiological Research, 4(2), 35. doi:10.5430/jer.v4n2p35
- Alakaam, A., Lemacks, J., Yadrick, K., Connell, C., Choi, H., & Newman, R. (2017). Breastfeeding practices and barriers to implementing the ten steps to successful breastfeeding in Mississippi hospitals. Journal of Human Lactation, 34(2), 322-330. doi:10.1177/0890334417737294
- Alakaam, A., Townsend, D., & Lemacks, J. (2017). Accuracy of weight status perception related to weight loss stage of change among medically underserved adults. Journal of Epidemiological Research, 3(1), 37. doi:10.5430/jer.v3n1p37
- Alakaam, A., & Lemacks, J. (2015). Fruit and vegetable consumption, fat intake, and physical activity participation in relation to socio-demographic factors among medically underserved adults. AIMS Public Health, 2(3),402-410.doi:10.3934/publichealth.2015.3.402
- Alakaam, A., Castellanos, D., Bodzio, J. & Harrison, L. (2015). The factors that influence dietary habits among international students in the United States. Journal of International Students, 5(2), 104-120. PDF here
- Alakaam, A. (2019). A nutrition education program through the farmer’s market: Lessons learned from community-based research in North Dakota. Circulation, 139, AP093.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331578400_Abstract_P093_A_Nutrition_Education_Program_Through_the_Farmer's_Market_Lessons_Learned_From_Community-based_Research_in_North_Dakota
- Alakaam, A. (2016). International students’ eating habits and food practices in colleges and universities. In Bista, K., & Foster, C. (2016), Campus support services, programs, and policies for international students. IGI Global.10.4018/978-1-4666-9752-2.ch006