The UTC Graduate Student Association loves to be involved on campus and in the community. Here are some opportunities for you to join us.
Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018
UC – Tennessee Room
Session One: 1-3 p.m.
Session Two: 5-7 p.m.
Sign up HERE to volunteer.
Welcome Home of Chattanooga is a Home for those who have a terminal illness and have nowhere to go for end of life care. We provide shelter and family type care, partnering with area hospices who provide the professional medical care.
Address: 400 S Germantown Rd, Chattanooga, TN 37411
- Caregivers/Companion Care: Involves taking shifts to provide care for residents. Role includes help with meals, personal care, being present for support, regular visits, developing friendships with one or more residents. Requires a commitment of at least six months.
- Meal Host: This caregiver helps with a meal, hosting dinner for the resident at Welcome Home or helping a bedbound resident with a meal.
- Garden Club: Members of our garden club work together and help build a very special garden to honor our residents and volunteers. Requires coordinating work days and collecting donations.
- Fundraising and Special Events: Members are part of a team that works on special projects and ways that can sustain Welcome Home for the long run. The team will also help spread the word by sharing with small groups, churches or other local organizations.
- Office Administrative Support: Involves helping with thank you letters and correspondence, organization of files for guests, staff, volunteers and student interns. This support team also helps with phone calls and with scheduling or organizing caregiver shifts, meal hosts and other volunteer support needed.
- WHC Handy Geek Squad: This team involves handy men or woman who know how to do simple repairs and or IT repairs.
St. Catherine’s Shelter operates year-round for up to eight homeless women in need of temporary housing who are enrolled in assistance programs coordinated by the Chattanooga Community Kitchen. Those graduating their programs are aided by Community Kitchen staff in job placement and securing permanent housing.
Address: 305 West Seventh Street at Pine Chattanooga, Tennessee 37402
- Female volunteers are needed to stay one night a month or more. Volunteers play an essential role at St. Catherine’s — we are always actively recruiting new volunteers! A coordinator opens the Shelter each evening, and stays until everyone is settled. The coordinator leaves the guests in the care of the trained female volunteer, and remains on-call for the night. The volunteer stays overnight in a private bedroom, and then oversees the clients leaving the Shelter in the morning.
- Donations of supplies for the Shelter are always needed. Most-used items include:
- Twin bed sheets (new), pillows, and blankets
- Cleaning products (disinfectants, soap powders, etc.) and toiletries
- Paper towels and large garbage bags
- Special treats (popcorn, pizza, etc.)