Criminal Background Check
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requires verification of competency of all individuals who have direct contact with patients or employees; this includes students doing clinical rotations in a healthcare facility. Competency extends beyond technical skills to an individual’s criminal history.
Effective Fall 2005 semester, criminal background checks for all newly admitted students will be implemented. Successful completion of a criminal background check is required for placement at a clinical site that has a JCAHO requirement for criminal background checks.
Background checks will be honored for the duration of the student’s enrollment in the clinical program if the participating student has not had a break in the enrollment at the college/school. A break in enrollment is defined as nonattendance of one full semester or more. The above information must be verifiable through the college/school and must be sent to the clinical agency.
YOU MUST COMPLETE THE CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK BY MAY 1.
- Go to: http://www.verifiedcredentials.com
- Under the "Links" tab on the lower right hand corner, click on the button labeled “Student Background Checks”
- Enter the code BBVTR-28773
- Create an account
- Enter all required information
- Provide supporting documentation
- Track your progress
- Information will automatically be shared with your school
- A GATP faculty member will receive a report, indicating your status.
- The only information the GATP faculty member will receive is a color-coded rating affiliated with the student’s name. The rating system is as follows:
- Green: no problems
- Yellow : student has to get clearance from the criminal background check organization; It is the student’s responsibility to clear his or her record. Until your record is cleared, you will not be allowed to be placed in a site that has the JCAHO requirement.
- Red: student can not participate in a clinical education experience that has a JCAHO requirement for criminal background checks.
Allocation of Cost
- Cost of the criminal background check is approximately $65.00 and will be the responsibility for any students beginning in the Graduate Athletic Training Program.