Transfer Students

Many students assume that the financial aid process is the same from school to school, or that their aid will just “transfer”.  However, every school is generally different in their process.  While one school may offer aid to every student that submits a FAFSA, others may require additional documentation.  Another difference may be the amount of aid that the school can offer an individual student, or the procedure to actually release funds to a student.

Financial Aid does not automatically “TRANSFER”

Every school that you attend has a separate application process, as noted above.  If you are currently receiving fall aid at another school, you first need to notify that school that you do not intend to return there in the spring so that they may cancel your spring award.  If you are receiving Tennessee state aid, such as the Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA) or the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship (HOPE), you must change your school of choice with the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) by creating a profile on the TSAC Student Financial Aid Portal and listing UTC as your school of choice.  UTC will need to be listed on your FAFSA also. To add UTC to your FAFSA, log in to your FAFSA at using your PIN; go to the page listing schools and put UTC in on the top line (UTC’s code is 003529); submit to FAFSA.  The deadline to change your institution is August 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester to receive aid by the fee payment deadline date (all requested documents must be received). The system will not automatically identify transfer HOPE recipients. Once the Admissions Office has received all transcripts, please notify the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office at 423-425-4677 or if you think you should receive the HOPE Scholarship. Then, follow the steps below!

Now What?

The general UTC Financial Aid & Scholarship application process begins with the completion of the FAFSA.  If you have already completed a FAFSA for the current academic year (fall, spring, summer) then you may only need to add UTC’s school code.  Please note that a change as seemingly insignificant as this could randomly select your file for Verification.  If you have been admitted to UTC, you have access to a personalized list of requested documents on your MyMocsNet account under Financial Aid Information – Requested Documents. If you have not yet been admitted, you may still begin the financial aid application process, although an award cannot be offered until you are fully admitted to UTC.

Once you have received an award, you will be notified by mail or e-mail to your MyMocsNet account.  You will need to accept or decline awards that are in an Offered status.  If you are a new Federal Direct Stafford loan borrower, you will need to complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note.  You will also need to complete Entrance Loan Counseling.

Additionally, we want you to submit our office's online scholarship application so you can be considered for scholarships we administer. Please be sure to check with your department of study to see what scholarship opportunities exist as well. 

Other Important Information

UTC cannot offer financial aid to transient students.  You must be fully admitted and degree-seeking to receive financial aid at UTC.  Students may not receive financial aid at two different schools during the same term. Any student transferring with more than 225 attempted hours is not eligible to receive financial aid at UTC.


For information on other types of aid, click here.