To receive the following grants, students must:

Awards will be made based on full time enrollment; however, awards will prorate based on actual enrollment.

Enrollment status for federal and state grants is determined on the last day to add classes for the semester.

Types of Grants:

1. Federal Pell Grant

2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)*

3. Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAA) Grant

4. Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant*

5. State Assistance - States other than Tennessee

*Must be enrolled in at least six credit hours.

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduates based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC)* and full-time enrollment.  If the student enrolls less than full-time, the Pell Grant award is prorated based on the actual number of hours enrolled each semester. No other aid will be awarded until Pell Grant eligibility (the student's need) has been determined. Regulations and provisions of the Pell Grant Program are subject to change by federal legislative action. The Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid.

Graduate and Provisional students are not eligible for the Pell Grant.

A student may not receive the Federal Pell Grant more than 12 full-time semesters, or the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters. This includes all prior semesters received. Students are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant during the Summer only if they did not receive full-time Pell during both the Fall and Spring semesters.  There is no application for Summer aid.  Once the student is enrolled, aid will be awarded based on enrollment and eligibility.

Note: Students must meet Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards in order to qualify for federal aid. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This federal grant program is awarded on a first-come first-served basis to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.  Priority consideration is given to students with a zero Expected Family Contribution (EFC)* whose financial aid application is completed by October 3 (for the 2017-2018 year) and January 2 (for the 2016-2017 year) prior to the upcoming academic year. 

Students who are Pell eligible and have additional need can submit a Supplemental Request Form to the Financial Aid Office.

Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAA) Grant

Tennessee's grant program is awarded to eligible Tennessee residents whose Expected Family Contribution (EFC)* is 2,100 or less. Funds are limited and awarded on a first-come first-serve basis. This Grant is available Fall and Spring semesters only.


  • Award recipients may receive the TSAA award until their program of study is complete or for eight (8) semesters, whichever comes first.

You will receive an award notification from the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) if you qualify for this grant. Please note the school indicated on the TSAC award letter.  If UTC is not listed, this means you did not list UTC first on your FAFSA. If you did not list UTC first on your FAFSA, you must make this change by creating an account on the TSAC Student Portal.  Please allow 2 weeks for UTC to process. This portal also gives you a view of your financial aid summary for any grant or scholarship that TSAC administers.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

Annual Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program limits for qualifying students is:
$4,000 per academic year for full-time enrollment;
$3000 for three-quarter time enrollment;
$2000 for half-time enrollment and,
$1000 for less-than-half-time enrollment
Cumulative maximum amount may not exceed $16,000 for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate study.
Cumulative maximum amount may not exceed  $8,000 for graduate students.  Click here for more information.

State Assistance - States other than Tennessee

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is your application for most state grant, scholarship and loan programs, in addition to federal grants and loans. The US Department of Education will forward your FAFSA information to the state student assistance agency for the state of residence you indicate on the FAFSA.

Each state has a different FAFSA submission deadline. If you miss the deadline, you will be ineligible to receive state aid for the entire academic year. In order to receive most state aid, you must attend a school in the state of residency. Follow this link and click on your state to find out what financial aid programs may be available to you.


*The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is calculated from the information you report on your FAFSA and according to a formula established by law.  The Office of Financial Aid determines whether you have financial need by using this simple formula:
                                                                         Cost of Attendance (Budget)
                                                                      -  Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
                                                                      = Financial Need