Academic Service Scholars Program
Renewable award of $4,200 a year for first-time undergraduate students.
Applicants who meet the criteria below will be considered for this award, valued at $4,200 a year. The Tennessee HOPE Scholarship can be awarded along with this, if eligible.
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA (first-time freshmen) or cumulative 3.0 university GPA (transfer students)
- Demonstrate a record of community service/volunteer work in school and/or community
- Ensure submission of three recommendations through the online scholarship application
- Commit to working 125 hours each semester in a department on campus
To be eligible for this scholarship, prospective students should first apply for admission.
The next step is to apply for scholarships. Both applications are required for candidates to be considered for this scholarship. The UTC online scholarship application has a specific section dedicated to this program.
All recommendations must be completed by the recommender through the online scholarship application. The application asks for the email address of any third-party you wish to submit a recommendation on your behalf (no immediate family members please).
Recommenders will automatically be emailed instructions on completing an online recommendation for you when you provide their email addresses. When a recommendation has been completed, you will receive notification by email.
Log back into your UTC online scholarship application any time to manage your recommendation requests. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all recommendations are submitted by the deadline published in the online scholarship application.
This is an extremely competitive scholarship program, and a limited number of these scholarships are awarded. Preference is given to first-time undergraduate students.
This scholarship will be split into two parts—a scholarship portion of $1,100 a semester and a work portion of $1,000 a semester.
- The scholarship portion is paid to students during the second week of each semester.
- The work portion is paid to students every two weeks as hours are worked, the same as for a regular, part-time job. Payroll is sent by direct deposit to a student’s personal bank account.
Recipients will receive an IRS W-2 form for the work portion of the scholarship, while the scholarship portion will be documented on a form1098-T. This should clarify, for federal income tax puprposes, what needs to be claimed as income and what does not.
This scholarship is renewable for up to three additional years based on a student’s academic performance and completion of 125 hours of university service each semester. Students should refer to their award notification letter (or the terms and conditions via their MyMocsNet) for enrollment requirements and renewal criteria. There is no regain option for students who do not meet the renewal criteria.
This scholarship cannot be stacked with other renewable scholarships or endowed scholarships offered through the UTC Financial Aid & Scholarships or Admissions Offices.