Parent Financial Aid & Scholarship Webpage

Thank you for visiting the UTC Parent Financial Aid & Scholarship Website.  While the majority of our communications with students will be via their UTC e-mail account, we know that our relationship with parents of our students is an important factor to our mission of helping students be successful during their time at UTC.  We strive to provide useful information to help ease you and your child through the financial aid process.

  • The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of the student.  Federal law prohibits us from discussing any matters specifically related to the student even with parents who are likely the primary responsible payers of the student’s account.  Completion of the Authorization to Disclose Information Form (FERPA) is optional, however it allows open conversations on the phone, through e-mail, or in person with individuals authorized by the student.  Encourage your student to complete and return this form to the Records Office as soon as they are admitted to the University.  This Form must be notarized and may not be faxed.  
  • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours) to receive a student loan, HOPE scholarship or TSAA state grant. 

     Full time enrollment is:                                            

      •  12 hours or more – Undergraduate      
      •   9 hours or more – Graduate                                  

    Part-time enrollment is

      •   9 - 11 hours (three-quarter time) - Undergraduate   
      •   6 - 8 hours (half-time) - Undergraduate           
      •   5 - 8 hours (half-time) - Graduate
  • Pell, TSAA and HOPE are pro-rated based on actual enrollment.  As of the 14th day of classes, hours are locked and aid is paid based on hours enrolled at that time. Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress rules to receive financial aid.
  • Before dropping below half-time or withdrawing completely, the student should talk with the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office about any possibility of having to repay aid or losing eligibility.
  • GPA guidelines are different for HOPE recipients.  All HOPE recipients will have a HOPE GPA and Institutional GPA.  The HOPE GPA does not include any credit hours earned before high school graduation (dual enrollment); the Institutional GPA does.   All HOPE recipients must maintain the required HOPE GPA as well as maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. 
  • For full details regarding maintaining HOPE eligibility, please refer to the HOPE Overview Webpage

To review our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, please refer to the SAP Policy Webpage

Financial aid cannot be received at more than one school.  If the student decides not to attend UTC, but wants to attend another school, it is his/her responsibility to withdraw from ALL courses at UTC before the first day of classes to avoid any fee-related charges. 

Concurrent Enrollment Form:  Complete this form if you wish to receive financial aid at UTC (Home institution) based on the hours enrolled at another (Host) institution.

Some students may receive total financial aid that exceed tuition, meal plan, and campus housing cost.  In order to have the remaining funds pay towards UTC book purchase, fees, fines or other charges that might incur, the student must complete the Financial Aid Authorization Survey.  Once financial aid is awarded, have the student can complete the Financial Aid Authorization Survey through the MyMocsNet account.  To complete the Financial Aid Authorization Survey, the student must log into the MyMocsNet account and click on the Money Tab at the top of the screen. The link for Financial Aid Surveys will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

The Admissions Application is available online beginning August 1 of each year.  December 1st is the last day to complete your admission file and still be eligible for scholarship consideration.  Once fully admitted, you will be given directions to access your MyMocsNet account.  Through your MyMocsNet account, you can complete the UTC Online Scholarship Application.  First round of institutional scholarships are awarded beginning early November.  The last day to complete the online freshman scholarship application is February 1st. UTC scholarships are very competitive. We encourage you to apply early.  

For additional information regarding our Admissions process, you may contact the

Office of Admissions at 423-425-4662.

For additional information regarding our scholarship process, you may contact the

Financial Aid & Scholarship Office at 423-425-4677 or  

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be completed each year.  It is available January 1st each year online at  Completion of the FAFSA is required to review eligibility for grants, federal work study, need-based scholarships and student loans. Please follow our Steps to Apply for Aid for further instructions.

You do not need to file your taxes before the FAFSA is completed.  There is a question on the FAFSA that allows you to indicate “I will file but have not yet completed a tax return”.   You should complete the FAFSA using estimated income information or you may use information from the previous year’s tax return.  Once you have filed your tax return, we advise you to make the necessary corrections to the FAFSA.  If you have filed for an extension to file your tax return with the IRS, you may also complete the FAFSA using estimated income; however, you must contact the Financial Aid Office to inform us of the extension if we request the Tax Return Transcript.

<>We encourage you to file the FAFSA as early as possible.

The information of the parent with whom the student has lived with the most during the past 12 months preceding the date the FAFSA is completed should be the only parent on the application.   It does not matter which parent claims the student as a dependent for tax purposes.

If you are the parent that is required to report financial information on the FAFSA and you are remarried, then the stepparent's information must be included on the application or that student will not be considered for federal student financial aid. If you believe that your situation is unique or unusual other than the stepparent's simple refusal to provide the requested information, you should contact our office to discuss the matter further.

No.  The Department of Education has strict rules for determining a student’s dependency status.  If the student is not yet 24 within the year the FAFSA is filed, generally is still considered a dependent student and must submit biological (and spouse) parents’ information on the FAFSA.  The answers to the dependency section questions on the FAFSA determine the student dependency status.  If there are special circumstances, the student should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Complete the FAFSA using your actual tax return information; then, contact the Financial Aid Office at 423-425-4677 or by e-mail at for a possible income adjustment review.

Any student’s FAFSA application may be selected for a process called “verification”.  If so, all or some of the information provided on the FAFSA has to be audited.  This is a federal requirement.  Both the parent and student are sent verification notices via e-mail. 

All documents should be submitted online for fastest processing.  All requested forms can be accessed through the student’s MyMocsNet account.  The student must initiate the completion of the form(s) through their account and request the parent’s signature, if required.   When the student requests the parent signature, the parent will receive an email with a link to complete any parent section(s), sign and submit.  Electronic signature is not required, but will ensure fastest processing.  Paper forms can be turned into the Mocs One Center or faxed to 423-425-2292.  Be sure the student’s UTC ID is on each page being submitted.

We begin processing and awarding financial aid in March of each year for the upcoming academic year and continue throughout the year.  The student must be fully admitted to the University before the financial aid award process can take place. We must have a valid FAFSA and a complete financial aid file.  First time UTC students will be sent a paper award letter in the mail along with an award guide when the initial award is made.  All future awards or award changes, the student will be sent an award notification via the UTC email to check MyMocsNet for awards.  Student loans are offered to the student and must be accepted through the MyMocsNet if the student wants them.  

If additional aid is needed, a Parent PLUS loan may be an option. This is a credit based loan in your parents' name. The parent must initiate the process at  If the loan is approved, your parent can request up to cost of attendance minus all other aid for the year.  A UTC PLUS Approval Form must be completed to request this amount.  If the loan is denied, you will be eligible to receive up to $4000 per year if you have up to 59 earned hours or $5000 per year if you have 60 or more credit hours in an additional unsubsidized loan.  A UTC PLUS Denial Form must be completed to request the additional unsubsidized loan.  The PLUS Approval and PLUS Denial Forms can be found on our forms page.

Alternative Loans which are credit based loans in the student’s name may be an option for parents who do not want the loan in their name.  You should carefully research and compare the options available from different lenders and select the lender that best suits your needs.  A Private Education loan is a non-federal education loan, through a private lender typically issued in the student's name and requiring a co-signer. Generally, alternative loans have interest rates, repayment terms, and deferment options that are substantially less favourable than those of the Direct Stafford, Perkins, Parent PLUS and Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan programs. Each lender has their individual eligibility requirements, interest rates, repayment terms and conditions.  Please refer to our website for more detailed information regarding Private Loans.

You may estimate cost by using one of our cost estimator tools:

(1)  Estimate Your Expenses Worksheet;

(2) View our Estimated Cost of Attendance Chart.  This is our total cost of attendance (budget) which includes both direct and indirect costs; or,

(3) You may use the Net Price Calculator to assist with calculating your estimated educational cost.

Paper billing statements are not mailed.  Students will receive an e-bill through the MyMocsNet account when statements are available.

Navigating the Website

Our website is designed to assist in finding useful information regarding financial aid, tuition and billing, counseling and other topics.  Below is a list of different UTC departmental websites and their responsibilities to better guide you.  Please review each department’s website for information, especially for important deadline dates.  As always, if you have any questions along the way, you can e-mail us at

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships:  Receive FAFSA information, review eligibility and award federal and state grants, work study and student loans based on eligibility, calculate and review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of each term.  For transfer students, SAP is initially calculated once we receive the FAFSA and all transcripts are received.

Office of the Bursar:  Billing and collection of student fees as well as the disbursement of financial aid funds.  All financial aid refunds are available for pick up in the Bursar’s Office or your student may arrange to have any refund available by direct deposit by entering bank institution information in the MyMocsNet account.  Paper statements are not sent to the student.  E-bill statements are sent to the student’s UTC email.  

Center for Advisement:  Offers a variety of tools and services including tutoring, study groups and first year academic advisement to help students succeed academically.

Counseling Center:  Offers individual and group counseling for all current students as well as career development.