Inforomation About UTC Civil Eng. Graduate Program

The UTC civil graduate faculty has 4 members and their research interests span a wide variety of civil engineering interests with a special interest in smart building & infrastructure.

Frequently Asked Questions

Application Procedures

Q: How should I apply?

A: You must apply through UTC graduate school by following this link.

Q: Do you have a PhD program

A: Currently we do not have a PhD program in Civil Engineering.

Q: What are the deadlines?

A: For fall admission, deadline for file completion and admission is July 1.

    For spring admission, deadline for file completion and admission is November 1. 

    But you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

Application Materials

Q: What are the application materials required?

A:  You will need at least the following documents:

1. Undergraduate transcripts. Official transcripts from each college attended. Official degree certificate for institutions from India. Summary of education experiences.  A World Education Services I-CAP evaluation is preferred. .

2. Language. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet) is required.  IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.

3. Non-refundable application fee: $40.00.  (Payment should be made in United States dollars by major credit cards, a cashier’s check, money order, or personal check. If payment is by personal check, the check must be drawn on United States currency.  

4. Financial documents: Documentation of financial resources sufficient for nine months of study will be required prior to issuance of I-20. There are no loans available to international students. An affidavit of support signed by sponsor and/or parents, if applicable, is required.

5. If currently studying in the U.S., submit a copy of current I-20, I-94, visa, passport, and SEVIS I-20 Transfer Form

6. Passport. For all international students, clear copy of current passport is required.

For more information about international student admission, please visit UTC international students service website.

Q: Do you waive TOFEL or IELTS for international students?

A: Each applicant whose native language is not English is required to take the TOEFL or IELTS and to have the results sent directly to The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Only applicants who have received a degree from a U.S. institution in the past two years are exempt from the TOEFL requirement. Please contact Ms. Lora Cook if you have further question regarding the language requirement.

Q: Do you require GRE ?

A:  Even though GRE is not officially required  by the university, we strongly recommend that you take GRE and submit with your other application materials.

Q: What are the minimum scores for GRE?

A: Currently there is no minimum GRE specified by the university and college of engineering, but to be eligible for graduate assistantship, you will need competitive GRE scores.

Q: What is the minimum acceptable undergraduate GPA?

A: The minimum undergraduate GPA required by the university is 2.7, but to be eligible for graduate assistantship, you will need a competitive GPA.

Financial Questions

Q: How much is the application fee?

A:  $40 for graduate students.

Q: Do you offer an application refund if I am not eligible for admission, withdraw my application, or receive a late fee waiver?

A: No.

Q: How much is the current education and living cost?

A: The estimation form can be found through UTC international student service website. The estimaged total as of 2017 is $39,522 (single), additional cost for spouse is $6,000 and $4,000 per child.

Q: How do I apply graduate assistantship?

A: Fill out and sign the graduate assistantship application form and submit to Ms. Shanae Anderson by the deadline. You are strongly recommended to submit ASAP.

Other Questions

Q: What are the research areas UTC civil engineering focuses on?

A: We are especially interested in research in smart buildings and infrastructure. Please visit our faculty websites for any other research areas.

Q: What if I do not find an answer in here?

A: If you are an international student, please contact Ms. Lora Cook at UTC internaltiona student services. You may also contact Ms. Shanae Anderson or me.