Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering
email@example.com (423) 425-5822 438 EMCS
Dr. Weidong Wu is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Chemical Engineering at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC). He received his PhD (2008) in Civil Engineering at the University of Mississippi. Dr. Wu is the Civil Engineering Department Graduate Program Coordinator. He is currently serving as the editorial member and reviewer of Civil Engineering Journal and as a book reviewer for CRC Press. Before joining UTC, Dr. Wu had worked as FEA engineer at a FIAT company in Michigan. Prior to entering US for his PhD degree, he worked for a leading construction company in structural design and construction management in China for four years. His primary interests include intelligent infrastructure, computational mechanics, materials modeling in multiscale, Finite Element applications in civil engineering, and online learning. Dr. Wu is co-PI of an NSF grant and a TN DOT funded project.
University of Mississippi Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, 2008
Huazhong University of Science & Technology B.S. in Civil Engineering, 1998
- Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga TN 2013-Present
- Senior FEA Engineer, Comau Inc. Southfield MI 2013
- Postdoc Research Associate, Univeristy of Mississippi Oxford MS 2008-2012
- Structural Engineer, Lingyun Tech. Wuhan China 1999-2003
- ENCE 2220 Probability and Statistics for Engineering Online Based
- ENCE 5910r Special Topics in Intelligent Infrastructure
- Editor-Civil Engineering Journal
- UTC Civil Engineering graduate program coordinator
- Intelligent infrastructure
- Fracture modeling to Recycled Aggregate Concrete
- Applying Periodic Boundary Conditions (PBC) in FEA
- Intelligent infrastructure
- Computational mechanics
- Computational modeling of materials
- Finite Element applications in civil engineering
- Online learning
Mentoring and Advisoring
- Murad Al Qurishee, UAV and Deep Learning for Intelligent Infrastructure, Present
- Phillip York, Leveraging existing transmission tower (thesis), Present
- W. Yang, Damage modeling of RAC by FEM and XFEM (thesis), Graduated
- A. Batchu, Analysis and Repair of Pretensioned Double Tee Canopy Beam, Graduated
- T. Haraway, Sequoyah Nuclear Plant Cooling Towers Double Tee Beam Canopy Crack Mechanism and Repair Solutions, Graduated
- Ausama Hashim, Seismic analysis to retaining wall on HWY 27 using FEA , Graduated
- Wu,W., Owino, J., Fomunung, I. , and Onyango, M. (2018) " Predicting overall elastic properties of recycled aggregate concrete ", Under Review
- Liang, Y., Wu,D.,Liu,Li,Y.,Gao,C., Ma,Z, and Wu,W. (2016), "Big Data-enabled Multiscale Serviceability Analysis about Aging Bridges", Digital Communications and Networks, 2(3), pp. 97-107.
- Al-Ostaz,A., French, B.A., and Wu,W. (2016), “ Nanoscale characterization of hydrated cement paste and Portland cement clinker, Submitted to Materials Characterization
- Wu, W., Al-Ostaz, A., Cheng, A. H.-D. and Song, C.R. (2011), “A molecular dynamics study on the mechanical properties of major constituents of Portland cement,” ASCE Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics,1(2), pp 84-90.
- Wu, W., Al-Ostaz, A., Gladden, J., Cheng, A. H.-D., and Li, G. (2010), “Measurement of mechanical properties of hydrated cement paste using resonant ultrasound spectroscopy,” Journal of ASTM International, 7(5)
- Wu, W., Al-Ostaz, A., Cheng, A. H.-D. and Song, C.R. (2010), “Concrete as a hierarchical structural composite material,” International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, 8(6), pp. 585-595.
- Al-Ostaz, A., Wu, W., Alkhateb, H. and Alzebdeh, K.I. (2009), “Joint effect of shape and size on progressive damage of random composites,” Computational Material Science, 46(4), pp. 1141-1151.
- Al-Ostaz, A., Wu, W., Cheng, A. H.-D. and Song, C.R. (2009), “A molecular dynamics and microporomechanics study on the mechanical properties of major constituents of hydrated cement,” Composites B, 41(7), pp. 543-549.
- Song, C.R., Wu, W. and Al-Ostaz, A. (2008), “Effects of Force Field in Molecular Mechanics Simulation of Geo-Materials,” Proceedings of GeoCongress 2008, ASCE GSP 179, pp.1012-1019.
- Wu,W., Qurishee, M.A., Owino, J., Fomunung, I. , Onyango, M. and Atolagbe,B. " Coupling deep learning and UAV for infrastructure condition assessment automation ", Fourth IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2), Kansas City, MO, September 16-19, 2018
- Wu,W., Owino, J., Fomunung, I. , and Onyango, M. "Multilevel micromechanics modeling of modeled recycled aggregate concrete", ASCE EMI Conference 2018, May 29-June 01, 2018, MIT, MA.
- Wu,W., Owino, J., Fomunung, I. , and Onyango, M. " Structural analysis to the innovative hybrid carbon nanotube-graphene sheet nanostructure", Twenty-fourth International Conference on. COMPOSITES/NANO ENGINEERING (ICCE-24), Haikou, Hainan Island, China July 17-23, 2016
- Wu,W., Haraway, T.K., Batchu, A.S., Fomunung, I, Owino,J., and Onyango, M. " Finite element thermal crack analysis of prestressed double tee canopy beam", Simulia (Abaqus) 2016 Science in the Age of Experience, 2016, Boston, MA
- Wu,W., Owino, J., Fomunung, I. , Onyango, M., and Al-Ostaz, A. "Finite Element Modeling for Damage of Recycled Aggregate Concrete", ICCEASI 2015, July 1-3, 2015, Hongkong
- Wu,W., Owino, J., Al-Ostaz, A. and Cai, L. " Applying periodic boundary conditions in Finite Element Analysis ", Simulia (Abaqus) Community Conference 2014, Providence, RI
- Wu, W., Al-Ostaz, and Cheng, A.H.-D.(2011) "Concrete as a Hierarchical Structural Composite Material" MAESC 2011, Memphis, May 3, 2011.
- Wu, W. and Al-Ostaz, A. (2008), “Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Concrete and Constituent Materials: From Nano to Continuum” Proceedings of The first American Academy of Mechanics Conference, New Orleans, June 17-20, 2008.