Dr. Joseph Owino, P.E.
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1998
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Howard University, 1980
- B.S., Civil Engineeering, The University of the District of Columbia, 1977
Certifications or professional registrations
- Professional Engineer Registration (active): Tennessee #20061
Current membership in professional organizations
- American Society for Engineering Educators (ASEE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
Dr. Joseph Owino is a Professor of Civil Engineering and the Department Head for Civil and Chemical Engineering at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC). He received his PhD (1998) in Civil Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology. Dr. Owino’s research interests are in the areas of structural health monitoring, Non-destructive evaluation of civil engineering materials and analysis and design of pavement structures and Finite Element Method (FEM). Dr. Owino received his Ph.D. from Georgia Institute of Technology. Dr. Owino is a registered Professional Engineer in the state of Tennessee. He currently teaches courses in Engineering Mechanics and Structural Analysis. He is affiliated with American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) and National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE). Dr. Owino worked in industry for over six years both as a design engineer and a project engineer for Shell Oil Company. His duties also included soil exploration for the purposes of the installation of offshore platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. Dr. Owino also worked in academia for over six years as a Lecturer at the University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya.