Research Focus and Scholarly Research Activities
- Motion Drives and Control; Robotics; Application of artificial intelligent (AI) Controls (Fuzzy, Neural network, Neuro-Fuzzy) to motion drives and robotics.
Power & Energy
- Power Electronics & Drives; Power System and the smart grid (smart home modeling and control) ; and Sustainable Energy (PV and wind power system modeling, simulation, and control)
- Diesel engine and after-treatment (emission) controls development.
- Virtual sensors development.
Scope of research activities for interested students:
- Learning and applying LabVIEW software in motion drives and robotics
- Learning new artificial intelligent techniques control techniques and applying it to motion drives and robotics.
- Building and controlling different robotics systems robot (e.g. balancing a two-wheel robot, multi-robots control etc.)
- Controlling haptic paddles using LabVIEW hardware or an Arduino.
- Designing and building different robotics mechanisms like grabbing and shooting a ball, driving over rough terrain, etc.
- Modeling photovoltaics and wind power system using Matlab/Simulink in a real-time digital simulator environment.
- Smart home modeling using LabVIEW
- Modelling effects of harmonics from power inverter systems and the micro grid.
- Smart power inverters and control.
Laboratory: “Robotics and Advance controls Research Lab” – Located in room EMCS 339