shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)


November 3, 1994
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

ELECTED MEMBERS PRESENT: Valarie Adams, Tom Bibler, Martha Butterfield, Ken Carson, Betsy Cook, Neal Coulter, Lloyd Davis, Aniekan Ebiefung, Fritz Efaw, Ahmed Eltom, Howard Finch, Phil Giffin, Nick Honerkamp, Doug Kingdon, Renée Lorraine, Jim Macomber, Jim McDonell, Anna Panorska, Loretta Prater, Mike Russell, Greg Sedrick, John Tinkler, Margaret Trimpey, Jeannette Vallier, Ling-Jun Wang, Sally Young

ELECTED MEMBERS ABSENT: Jim Avery, Prem Chopra, Robert Duffy, John Garrett, Larry Ingle, David Levine, John Lynch, Katherine Rehyansky, Maria Smith, Jim Stroud, David Wiley

EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS PRESENT: Jane Harbaugh, Fred Obear, Charles Renneisen, Grayson Walker

AMONG THE GUESTS PRESENT: Deborah Arfken, Linda Fletcher, John Fulmer, Robert Pullen, Tim Summerlin, Mary Tanner, Greg Thibadoux

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 3:18 p.m. by President Tom Bibler.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes were approved as distributed.

Because Professor Bill Butterfield had not yet arrived, President Bibler called on Professor Greg Sedrick for the Graduate Council report.

Report of the Graduate Council

Professor Greg Sedrick, Chair, moved approval of the Health Services Management Concentration within the School of Business. Professor Renée Lorraine seconded the motion.

Professor Fritz Efaw said that in Professor Larry Ingle’s absence, he would express Ingle’s view that there is a lack of depth in these courses taught at the graduate level. He anticipates the reply that these are for an MBA, a terminal degree, not preparatory for a Ph.D. Yet masters level courses should be near the cutting edge and up to date, even if they do not prepare students for further research. Additionally, the writing component is weak.

Professor Efaw’s own view is that this group of courses should be housed elsewhere, for example in the school of nursing.

Professor Efaw moved sending this concentration back to Graduate Council to see if there are programs currently being designed which would be in competition with this program in the next few years. He offered this as a substitute motion. He believes that if it is determined by Graduate Council that turf wars are about to take place, Faculty Council should know that.

Professor Mike Russell seconded the motion.

Professor Sedrick said that the turf issue was addressed by Graduate Council, which included a representative from nursing. There were two clientele, different for nursing than for a concentration in an MBA. Graduate Council does not support administrators who try to grab turf; so there’s not a turf issue.

Professor Russell wondered about competition with Knoxville.

Professor Jim McDonell said that there was some talk of an independent masters in Health Care Administration there. He is not sure where that would conflict with the Health Services Management concentration in the MBA.

Professor Greg Thibadoux said that it was typical at larger universities to have both the MBA concentration and one in nursing. There are two groups of students, two processes, and two outcomes; students go to different positions upon graduation.

The MBA in Health Care Management is the most sought after degree at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. It permits only ten students per semester to enter the program. It is atypical to have just a single program.

Professor McDonell wondered whether the masters in Health Care Administration should be implemented at about the same time as the concentration in Health Services Management.

Professor Thibadoux said that would be ideal, but that the Business School has the students now.

Professor Deborah Arfken said that these courses could be part of another program later on down the road.

Professor Russell questioned the reason for the close vote in Graduate Council.

Professor Sedrick said it was because of the objections which are addressed on the second page of the report. After the first reading, these issues were addressed by Dr. John Fulmer.

Professor Russell was concerned about the inadequacy of the library for undergraduates. Is it correct that only $348.00 would be needed for journals?

Professor Thibadoux replied yes. Students are also permitted to use Erlanger, Memorial, and the downtown public libraries.

Professor Russell said that he understood that Erlanger was having trouble giving access to students.

Professor Phil Giffin said that he does not want to add a new program when our existing courses are underfunded. They need new economics journals.

Professor Lorraine noted that four journals listed on page 8 of the report are not listed on the last page. Who will purchase these journals?

Professor Thibadoux said that the School of Business would buy them.

Professor Jeannette Vallier was concerned about the writing component. Aren’t students doing research for report writing?

Professor Thibadoux explained that the MBA is not a liberal arts masters degree. They do have writing assignments, but that is not their emphasis. A typical assignment might be to do their own research, compare it with journal articles, evaluate findings, and produce a 25-30 page paper. He noted that many courses are quantitative and require computer use, not just writing of papers.

Professor Vallier questioned whether the program might include a report writing course.

Professor Thibadoux replied that such a course would be nice.

Professor Lloyd Davis wondered if the 7-5-1 vote was the vote on the first or the second reading.

Professor Sedrick said the second.

Professor Davis wondered what the concerns on the second reading were.

Professor Arfken said that she was unable to recall additional concerns.

Professor Sedrick noted that the title did change. It is Health Services Management, not Health Care Administration now.

The motion to return the program to the Graduate Council failed 6-15-5.

Council then returned to the original motion to pass the proposal.

Professor Martha Butterfield asked what "external affiliation" on page 9 meant. She asked if students would be using hospitals, health services, and the like.

Professor Thibadoux said that the phrase means no resources would be spent to establish programs. He assured her that they already have contacts with Memorial Hospital.

Professor Butterfield said that the term implies that people will teach using resources outside of the University.

Later in the proposal, she noted the statement that faculty are "strongly encouraged" to have a clinical component. She believes that such a component should be mandatory.

Professor Thibadoux agreed. People will get experience in a clinical setting.

Professor Doug Kingdon suggested changing the word "affiliation" to "funds."

Professor Thibadoux said it would be fine with him to change the wording of A on page 9.

Professor Russell asked if any accreditation agency was involved.

Professor John Fulmer said yes. The American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business accredits all business programs.

Professor Russell asked what the accrediting agency looked at in terms of library holdings, teaching, staff, etc.

Dean Linda Fletcher remarked that this concentration would be automatically accredited as a concentration until the AACSB visits for reaccreditation in eight or nine years. It is not accredited separately.

Professor Margaret Trimpey asked if they already had a commitment to get the journals named on page 52.

Professor Thibadoux said yes; they will be purchased with School of Business funds.

Professor Tinkler wondered where the half a person came from on the page where staffing was explained.

Professor Fulmer said that it was a shift.

Professor Tinkler wondered if the College had a person now who wasn’t working.

Dean Fletcher explained that enrollment at the undergraduate level is declining; their potential for growth is at the graduate level. Thus they will shift resources from the undergraduate to the graduate level.

The motion passed 16-7-3.

Report on Convocation

Professor Bill Butterfield presented his Convocation Report for Council’s approval.

His committee recommends:

1. Moving the convocation to a Wednesday and holding it during the 10:00-10:50 and 11:00-11:50 classes. That would discourage students from leaving early to get to their next class.

2. Holding a reception in the University Center afterwards.

3. Announcing the day and time earlier. (In the Committee’s defense, Professor Butterfield said that they were unable to confirm the speaker for this year’s convocation until a month before the event.)

4. Asking professors who have 10:00 classes to bring their students to the convocation with them. (Having this support of faculty helped us to have about 2,000 students at our convocation, unlike Knoxville’s, which had about 300 students.)

5. Having faculty be encouraged to attend not only by Chancellor Obear (as they were this year), but also by all administrators and Faculty Council.

6. Training ushers so that some of the bottlenecks which occurred this year would not recur.

7. Making this an annual event, on the first Wednesday in October, the traditional date to celebrate Founders Day.

8. Putting risers on the floor for the platform party, to make them easier to see and hear.

9. Placing announcements in the Echo to encourage students to stay until the end of the event. (Professor Butterfield believes that one problem with holding this event in Maclellan is that students are used to getting up and leaving sporting events held there.)

Professor Butterfield moved acceptance of the report; Professor Doug Kingdon seconded the motion.

Professor Ken Carson thought that the speaker was wonderful, but he did hear faculty grousing about having to dismiss class and having to go. He does not find consensus among faculty about this.

Professor Jeannette Vallier would like us to go all out and make the occasion really ceremonial. Students do not leave graduation in the middle. Perhaps fewer introductions would be better.

Professor Margaret Trimpey said that many faculty were sorry that it was in the middle of midterms because it affected reviewing, testing, and grading. She had heard that some faculty let out all of their classes on that day if they had multiple sections of the same course.

Professor Russell suggested that faculty could write "open" on their syllabi.

Professor Ken Carson commented that this type of control over students was rather Orwellian. Why should we require them to come to something like this?

Professor Tinkler was upset because his students had paid to take a course in Old English at that hour. Instead they had to listen to a twentieth-century writer. That bothers him a good deal.

Professor Kingdon remarked that the only thing harder to move than a university faculty is a graveyard.

The motion passed by voice vote.

Old Business

There was no old business.

New Business

Professor Mike Russell wondered what is going on with faculty teaching loads. We had a movement to double sections to reduce the teaching load to nine hours. Is this still all right? His department is recruiting, and he would like clarification.

He had also heard a rumor that we would be going to a fifteen-hour load.

Provost Grayson Walker said that Homer Fisher had asked UTC to develop a viable faculty workload. The Deans Council has discussed this. Business and Engineering have fairly consistent ones; others are not so consistent.

They are trying to get a faculty workload statement acceptable throughout campus. He will then show it to Homer Fisher and get approval. It probably will not be done in time to help the History Department with recruiting. The Provost would like to do something nice for faculty.

Dean Tim Summerlin of the College of Arts and Sciences said that the College’s department heads have been discussing workload and reviewing activities that faculty do to alter a standard twelve-hour teaching load. He has been inquiring about double sections. He thinks it is appropriate, but that it should be done with care. What if you do not get the expected quota in a double section?

Most departments have a carefully-adhered to policy, but not all.

Professor Vallier noted that the clocks in Holt Hall all march to a different drummer. Both students and faculty are concerned.

Chancellor Obear said that it sounded like Old Business to him, but he will try to get the clocks fixed.

President Bibler asked him to put Hunter Hall clocks on his list; Professor Nick Honerkamp asked him to put Brock Hall clocks on the list; and Professor Martha Butterfield asked him to add Guerry clocks to the list.


The meeting was adjourned at 4:05.

Respectfully submitted,

Sally Young


top.gif (189 bytes)