If there is an emergency, or someone is hurt, call 911 immediately.  All injuries need to be reported to UTC Safety and Risk Management immediately at 423-425-5741.

If there has been an accident, notify police, obtain driver and witnesses information (name, address, telephone number, email address).  Obtain vehicle information (make, model, year, VIN and license plate number).  Obtain driver's insurance information, and take pictures of any damage to all vehicles involved.

For more information, please review UTC Automobile Accident/Damage Reporting Procedures.

If the incident occurs on campus, contact UTC Police Department by calling 911 (while on campus) or dial 423-425-4357 (HELP).  An accident report needs to be made by UTC Police.  The driver must also complete the Driver's Report of Vehicle Accident and notify their supervisor. This form needs to be turned into Transportation Services within one business day of the incident.

Off campus, call 911 to report the accident and complete the Driver's Report of Vehicle Accident. This form is to be turned into Transportation Services once the driver is back on campus.

If involved in an automobile accident while driving a University owned vehicle, rental vehicle or a personnel vehicle while on official business, it is now required that University employees call the State of Tennessee Auto Accident Call Center at 855-253-0629 as soon as it is safe to do so or within 24 hours.   Untimely reporting may result in the University being fined $1,000.00 (which will be charged back to the department).

Provide the following information:

  • Incident date, time and location
  • Employee information (name, phone, email)
  • All other driver's information (name, phone, email)
  • All involved vehicle information (make, model, owner's name, insurance information, license plate and VIN)
  • Supervisor's name and contact information
  • Confirm any injuries/fatalities that occurred

If the accident involves an unoccupied vehicle, a Damage Notification Card must be completed and left on the vehicle.  These cards can be found HERE or in the glove box of each University owned vehicle.  

Take photos of both vehicles, as well as the license plates and VIN numbers (found on the driver's side dash, near the windshield).

All damage to any University owned vehicle, personal vehicle or rental vehicle must be reported and the driver will need to complete a Driver's Report of Accident and turn in to Transportation Services.

Call the State of Tennessee Auto Accident Call Center at 855-253-0629 with date, time, location of the incident any provide any additional information you may have.

For more details on both these new procedures please review Auto Accident Reporting Instructions.

In compliance with statutes and directives of the State of Tennessee as set forth in T.C.A. §9-8-101 et seq., the University of Tennessee self-insures its exposures in general liability, automobile liability, professional malpractice and worker’s compensation.  Contact Safety and Risk Management at 423-425-5741 for exact details.

Each vehicle has two forms of Roadside Assistance. Please use Manufacturer's Roadside Assistance first if applicable.

Manufacturer's Roadside Assistance (information in the key wallet):

  • Chevrolet 24/7
    Vehicles with less than 5 years or 100,000 miles
    Covers towing, flat tire, lock-out, battery jump, and fuel
  • Dodge 24/7
    Vehicles with less than 3 years or 36,000 miles
    Covers towing only
  • Ford 24/7
    Vehicles with less than 5 years or 60,000 miles
    Covers towing, flat tire, lock-out, battery jump, and fuel

ARI - Automotive Resources International.  Information can be found in the glove box of each vehicle.  The information on the card is needed. 

1-800-CAR-CARE or 1-800-227-2273

This service covers:

  • 24 Hour Emergency Tow Service
  • 24 Hour Tire Change Service
  • Fueling Service (requires a local vendor)
  • 24 Hour Battery Jump Service
  • 24 Hour Lockout Service