The Sally B. Young Critical Writing Award
The English Department is pleased to invite submissions to the Sally B. Young Critical Writing Award. This award is open to all undergraduates. The winner will be announced at the annual English Department Banquet, held each Spring.
The best critical essay written for an undergraduate English course at UTC during the 2018 calendar year (Spring, Summer, or Fall terms) wins $500. Winners will be selected via blind review by a five-member faculty committee.
- Essay must be 5-15 pages.
- Must be a critical essay – literary criticism, critical theory, or rhetorical analysis (personal essays, creative non-fiction, etc. will not be considered).
- Essay does NOT have to be a researched critical essay. Authors do NOT have to be English majors.
- The paper must have been written for a course taught in the English Department during the 2018 calendar year at the ENGL 2000 level or above.
- Create a new email to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. In this email include your contact information: email, home address, phone number, the name and number of the course for which the paper was written, and the name of the course instructor.
- Attach a PDF or Microsoft Word file of your submission. *The submission SHOULD NOT include your name.*