Elective Credit Policy
The participant, with Program Director/Advisor approval, will identify and successfully complete coursework in subject matter related to his/her professional practice. All elective courses (LEAD and non-LEAD) must meet minimum eligibility requirements and must be approved by the Program Director/Advisor. The majority of participants begin elective coursework once the core program of study has been completed.
Minimum Elective Course Requirements:
- Credits must be taken for graduate credit (5000-level or above) from a regionally accredited institution
- Credits must have documented objectives or outcomes that are consistent with graduate level learning (higher order thinking skills)
- Credits must be academic in nature (not internship, practicum, continuing education, etc.)
- Credits must be assigned a letter grade of "B" or higher
- Credits cannot have been used for a previously conferred degree
- Credits must be approved by the Program Director/Advisor
Transfer Credit Policy:
- Any transfer credits cannot exceed 15 graduate hours (5 courses) and are limited to elective credit
- Any transfer credit requests for previous course work should be submitted to the Program Director/Advisor by the end of the first Spring semester (May 1), along with course syllabus(i) from the semester the course was taken. Previous transfer credits must have been taken within 5 years of entrance into the program. Any approved transfer credits will be documented as part of the Program of Study, which is typically filed during the third semester of core course enrollment.
- Any additional transfer credit must be approved in advance and requests must be accompanied by a course syllabus (the most recent version available, no more than one year old) and an official transcript must be submitted upon completion of approved courses
The following types of courses will not be accepted as elective credit toward the doctoral program:
- Courses designed as bridging or leveling work for Master's programs (Foundations of Accounting, Concepts in Economics, etc.)
- Courses that are very similar in scope to core coursework (Principles of Instructional Design, Organizational Effectiveness, etc.)
- Courses offered at the undergraduate level (4000) with a graduate (5000) option
Instructions regarding the review/approval process for elective coursework are available in the Course Registration Process section (link: Course Registration Process).
Proposing an Individual Study Project (LEAD 7997)
- The participant will develop an idea for an individual project and in discussion with the Program Director/Advisor will determine an appropriate instructor with graduate faculty status who is willing to supervise the project. This should be completed at least 14 days prior to the start of the term.
- The participant will complete the Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form in consultation with the Program Director/Advisor and the instructor. Please start by downloading and saving the Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form file to your local computer (link: Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form). Then open the form with Adobe Reader (or Pro). On a PC, this is accomplished by right clicking on the file and selecting "Open with... Adobe Reader."
- The participant will digitally sign the Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form and forward to the instructor for review. If assistance with the digital signature process is needed, please contact the Program Office at email@example.com.
- The instructor will digitally sign the Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form and forward to the Program Director/Advisor.
- The Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form will be reviewed by the Program Director/Advisor.
- Once approved by the Program Director/Advisor, the LEAD Program Office will submit the Individual Studies Syllabus/Contract form to the Records Office for processing. Online registration is not permitted for individual study projects due to the syllabus/contract requirement.
- The Program Office will send the participant and the instructor a registration confirmation notice via email.