- Early voting in Tennessee runs from October 14 to October 29, 2020. Citizens may vote at any polling location in Hamilton County during this period; the Hamilton County Election Commission (700 River Terminal Road, just off Amnicola Highway) is the closest location to campus and will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.- 7 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. during the early voting period.
- Election day is November 3, 2020. Anyone voting on this day must go to the polling location designated on their voter registration card.
Mail-In Ballots/Absentee Voting
- Citizens can also vote by mail-in ballot (aka absentee voting), however some restrictions apply.
- If you are registered to vote in Tennessee, and have voted in person in any previous election, but are registered outside of Hamilton County:
- You may request an absentee ballot using this form, which you must then send to your local election commission.
- Students who are outside of their home county during early voting and on Election Day may request an absentee ballot. The state also allows people who meet other criteria, listed here, to request an absentee ballot.
- If you are registered to vote in Tennessee and have not voted in person before:
- You must “re-register” in person at the Hamilton County Election Commission if you wish to vote by mail the first time. Local officials will verify your identification and send your application to your home county.
- If you are registered to vote in Hamilton County, you do not qualify for absentee (mail-in) voting unless you meet one of the other criteria.
- For a complete list of how one qualifies for a mail-in ballot, see this page . To request a mail-in ballot, visit the Tennessee Secretary of State webpage or the appropriate county election commission page; mail-in ballots must be requested by October 27, 2020.
Tennessee has a strict voter ID law. Voters must present a photo ID issued by the state or federal government in order to vote. College ID cards do not qualify. Common acceptable forms include a drivers license or passport, though there are other options as well.