Parent Information & Tips
What an exciting time for your family as your student transitions to college life and adulthood. Some challenges lie ahead that you may be called upon to help navigate. We are excited about partnering with you to help your student succeed. Below are some tips that could assist you and your student in this time of adjustment:
- Encourage your student to try on new experiences with your guidance and support.
- Direct them to the appropriate resources before stepping in to take over.
- Expect some anxiety and tearfulness…remaining calm and caring while guiding them to resources (see resource list to the right).
- Encourage use of a planner and the academic calendar on the UTC webpage. Drop/add dates are noted there!
- The UTC email provides important announcements about registration, financial aid, etc.
- Students with documented disabilities can receive additional help through the Disability Resource Center…best to get this arranged early rather than when stressors occur.
- Campus organization involvement helps a student to adjust to college.
- Professors are a good resource…encourage your student to meet with their professor if they are experiencing difficulties.
- Talk to your student about making good decisions regarding substance use, sex, and social activities.
- Students should carry their insurance information in case of emergency.
- Join the UTC Parent and Family Association
- Top Tip! Encourage your student to go to class!