Getting Started with Instagram:
Instagram is a social media network that uses a mobile app to capture and share pictures and videos between its users. Instagram also offers a web presence through viewable profiles on the web, which displays recent photos. Instagram uses filters to give photos unique and refined looks. Other users can follow you and comment on your photos. https://www.instagram.com/utchattanooga/ - Link to “viewable profiles on the web”
Creating an Instagram Account:
1. Download the mobile app on your smart phone in the App Store. The App is available for both Android and Apple IPhones.
2. Visit Instagram.com to explore Instagram Web Profiles. With the online site, you can follow other users, edit your profile, and comment on photos from the convenience of your computer or laptop.
3. Link your Instagram account with other social media networks, such as Facebook and Twitter handles to share your photos with all of your followers and increase participation in your social media accounts. Make you Instagram account public. Create an easy to remember and UTC branded Instagram account name. Example: UTC Housing and Residence Life named their account @UTCHousing.
Take photos often, and share them with your followers. Sharing frequently will increase your traffic and followers, and encourage users to participate. You do not want your followers to think you have stopped posting.
Double-tap to “like” a photo. A white heart will pop up indicating your “like.” Or select the heart icon below photos. You may like appropriate photos, but do not like posts from private businesses, (unless you are partnered with them for some event/program,) and do not follow or like any posts from political figures.
Mention another user. In the post caption or comment, use “@” and then another Instagrammer’s username. Tagging other accounts can help increase your post’s reach.
Use appropriate photos that share something unique about your department, program, or college. Keep photos fresh and fun with these tips and tricks for taking good photos from Instagram. https://help.instagram.com/427910070604293/ - Link this to “these tips and tricks”
Respond to comments on your photos. Replying to users comments will increase the quantity of your followers, and encourage activity and engagement between users.
Use plenty of hashtags. Use “#” and then a topic keyword (#UTCgrad #MondayMotivation), hashtags increase discoverability of your photo by other Instagrammers. Even if a person does not follow you directly on Instagram, they can find your photo and begin following you through a hashtag.
Experiment with the different filters. Instagram has a number of filters to change your photo that can offer unique effects. Take unfiltered photos on your mobile phone’s camera, and then open them in Instagram to experiment with the various filters to achieve the best image.
If you have the know-how, feel free to edit with other apps and programs first. Make photos more unique with programs like Photoshop, or apps like SnapSeed.
Know how to delete a caption or comment. Just in case: You can’t modify a caption, but you can go to “comments” and swipe left-to-right to activate the delete button. You can also delete comments by selecting the grayed out “View Comments” under your caption and then swipe left to Delete.
To use photos from your camera roll, just tap the small square and + icon in the lower center.
When shooting from Instagram, you can choose to share a photo, Normal, Boomerang, or Live video, Hands Free. Normal: Must hold down consistenly to capture a video. Boomerang: Short video that replays movement. Live Video: Video that will live cast to your followers.
Post only your best shot, not every shot
Do not steal other photos and pass them off as your own.
Reposting: To share other people photos it is wise to either use the Repost or InstaRepost App. To do this you will need download either app, find the photo you want to share to your account, select the 3 dots in the top right corner, and select Copy Share URL. Next, open your Repost App and the link you copied will appear. Click the photo, arrange where the Repost credit will go, (choose spot on the photo that it is not in the way), then hit Repost! You can choose to include the original posters caption. It is recommended that you don’t; it isn’t necessary usually.
An Instagram Story is a tool that will showcase several posts in one “Story.” You can share photos, video and/or Boomerangs to your Instagram story.
Steps to share to your story:
- Tap in the top left of your screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen to take a photo, or tap and hold to record a video. You
Tap Boomerang at the bottom of the screen, then tap the circle to take a burst of photos that loops forward and backward.
Swipe left then tap Hands-Free at the bottom of the screen to take a video without having to tap and hold.
- Tap , or to draw, add text or a sticker to your photo or video. Tap Undo to remove a drawing effect or Done to save it. To remove text or a sticker, drag and drop it on at the bottom of the sceen.
- You can tap Cancel to discard your photo or video, or Save to save it to your phone. When you're done, tap Your Story to share to your story.