COMM 4850 Internship Application Procedures
All application materials must be submitted to the Department of Communication office (Frist 309). NO LATE PORTFOLIO PRESENTATION BOOKLETS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Applicants need to turn in a portfolio presentation booklet containing the following items:
- a completed internship application form
- write a 200 word response to one ethical scenario
- a statement of not fewer than 200 words on your career goals
- your resume
- a portfolio of specific examples of your writing, editing and/or design work (see below for details).
Your portfolio of sample works should consist of the following examples:
- Three (3) different media writing examples of YOUR OWN work. These must be your own original work from internships, jobs, or class assignments, and should not have grading marks on them. Examples include stories written for The Echo or other publications; scripts or stories written for Mocs News or other video productions; copy written for clients in Comm. 3330 or Comm. 4700; Web copy written for Comm. 3370 or other writing created especially for some form of media. Research papers are not acceptable media writing examples.
- Two (2) visual example of your work YOUR OWN WORK, printed out on paper, if possible. Possible examples include a printout of a Power Point presentation you designed that should include graphics, art or photographs; a print out of a screen capture of a web pages you designed; a design project or printed literature you designed, such as a flyer, advertisement, or brochure; a photograph you shot, published or not; a DVD of video, with or without audio,that you shot and/or edited. You MUST include a printed description of the video ALONG WITH the DVD. Please be certain the DVD is readable.
All examples in the portfolio MUST BE LABELED. Include a brief description of the piece and your role in creating it. For example, the label might read:
- “This is a news story written for The Echo. I conducted the interviews and wrote the story.” OR
- “This is a ________for COMM ____. I conducted _____.” OR
- “This is a brochure for my sorority. I helped edit the copy and did the layout and design.”
A brief reminder about plagiarism: If you are caught submitting or claiming work that is not your own, you will not be approved to do an internship under COMM 4850. Be complete and clear in the labeling of your examples. Do not take credit for work you did not do. You WILL BE caught.
Portfolio presentation booklets are available from the department administrative assistant in Frist 309. Portfolios will not be returned, so do not submit your only copy of materials.
A sample portfolio presentation booklet is available for review in the main Communication Office, Frist 309. Please do not remove this portfolio.
You will be notified by letter if you have been accepted into Comm. 4850, Individual Internship. If you are not accepted, your letter will explain why and tell you what you must do to get accepted.
All internship placements must be coordinated through the faculty internship director.