Frequently Asked Questions
As a serious student, you’re going to have a question or two about the UTC MSDA program. For this reason, we’ve included this list of frequently asked MSDA program questions.
Yes. Right now, the UTC MSDA Program has two tracks from which to choose:
MSDA with a Business Concentration
MSDA with a Computer Science Concentration
For more information about the concentrations or the core curriculum, visit the MSDA curriculum page.
Courses are offered in fall, spring, and summer semesters. Fall and spring courses are 15-weeks in length while summer courses typically are 6-weeks in length. To view current & upcoming semester dates, visit UTC’s Academic Calendar.
To view current and upcoming semester dates, visit UTC's Academic Calendar.
Most part-time graduate students take two courses (6 credit hours) per semester while full-time graduate students take at least three courses (nine credit hours) per semester.
The UTC MSDA program requires applicants to have a minimum GPA of 2.70 for all undergraduate work taken for the baccalaureate degree. Because the UTC Graduate School will allow graduate programs to admit students who meet other GPA criteria, UTC's MSDA program may consider for admission applicants who meet one or more of the following GPA requirements from a regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent:
- 3.00 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate academic coursework OR
- 3.00 GPA for 30 or more semester hours of undergraduate credit after earning the first bachelor's degree OR
- 2.70 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate academic coursework and a 3.00 GPA on fewer than 24 hours of graduate coursework OR
- 3.00 GPA for 24 or more graduate hours OR
- An earned master's degree or higher-level degree with at least a 3.00 GPA
Note: All GPAs are based on a 4.0 point scale; the last two years of undergraduate coursework are equivalent to approximately 60-70 semester hours or 90-100 quarter hours.
GMAT/GRE waiver requests will be considered for applicants who meet one of the waiver criteria listed below. Applicants will make the waiver request during part 2 of the application process (completing the MSDA program application) and at that time must also select the waiver option they believe they meet. Meeting the below criteria does not guarantee a GMAT/GRE waiver. To be considered, applicants must have earned:
- Previous graduate degree or higher with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher; OR,
- 3.25 cumulative undergraduate GPA plus 5 years of professional work experience; OR,
- UTC undergraduate business major or other comparable university's business major with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and 3.2 cumulative GPA within business major (defined as upper level courses in business); OR, UTC undergraduate computer science major or other comparable university's computer science major with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and 3.2 cumulative GPA within computer science major (defined as upper level courses in computer science.)
A limited number of graduate assistantships are available to MSDA graduate students. To apply for one, complete a UTC MSDA graduate assistantship application & submit it to the RCOB Graduate Programs Office. Please note that to be considered for an assistantship, you must also submit all required MSDA application materials to the UTC Graduate School. The priority application deadline for fall 2019 graduate assistantship applications is July 1. Applications may be submitted past this deadline and will be considered as long as graduate assistantship positions remain available.