Westbrook Scholarship for Incoming Freshmen
The application process for entering 2019 students is now open.
Chemistry and Physics
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
The Department of Chemistry and Physics at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga announces the Westbrook Scholarship Program for 2019. Awards of $12,000 ($3,000 per year for four years) will be presented to as many as ten entering freshmen majoring in Chemistry or Physics. The awards are renewable over a four-year period and can be added to other University scholarships and the Tennessee Lottery scholarship. The Howard L. Westbrook Scholarship fund was established in 1993 by alumnus Howard L. Westbrook of Fairhope, AL., Class of 1958, for students studying science or engineering.
The Howard L. Westbrook Scholarship is open to all applicants regardless of race,
color, creed, or sex with the following qualifications:
- Student must be accepted for admission to or currently enrolled at the University Tennessee Chattanooga.
- Minimum academic requirements are high school GPA of 3.0 and an ACT of 23.
- Financial need will be considered.
- First preference shall be for students majoring in chemistry or physics. Second preference is for students majoring in other fields of science.
- Scholarship recipients must use the funds to pay for educational expenses such as tuition and student fees.
- Current scholarship recipients shall be given preference in subsequent years to continue to receive the stipend.
Eligible majors include all BS Chemistry degrees (including chemistry, biochemistry, and STEM education concentrations) and BS Physics degrees (including physics and biophysics). Other science and engineering majors (e.g. chemical engineering, biology, nursing, physical therapy) are also eligible for the Westbrook Scholarship. An undergraduate degree in science or engineering is ideal for anyone with an interest in medicine or medically related research, dentistry, pharmacy, forensics, industry, teaching, patent law, environmental issues, materials, or other science and technology related areas.
A separate “Application for Admission” to the university must be submitted directly to the Office of Admissions at UTC by February 1, 2019. The completed Westbrook application (submitted online) and two letters of recommendation (emailed) are due February 15, 2019.
Announcement of the awards will be made in middle to late April.
For further information contact:
Dr. Rebecca Stimson
UTC Chemistry, #2252
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37403
(423) 425- 4482 or (423) 425-4278