Grote Chemistry Scholarship for Incoming Freshmen
The Department of Chemistry and Physics at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga announces the Grote Chemistry Scholarship Program for 2017. Awards of $12,000 ($3,000 per year for four years) will be presented to as many as three entering freshmen majoring in Chemistry. The awards are renewable over a four-year period and can be added to other University scholarships and the Tennessee Lottery scholarship. Grote Chemistry Scholarships are named in honor of Dr. Irvine W. Grote, who served as head of the department from 1941 to 1964. Previous Grote Scholars have graduated with distinction and gone on to success in chemistry graduate schools, medical schools, law schools, pharmacy schools, and the chemical industry.
In order to be eligible for a Grote Chemistry Scholarship, a student must have all of the following requirements:
- complete a course in high school chemistry with an A or B
- attain a high school grade point average of 3.5 or above
- have a composite score of 26 or above on the ACT exam (or SAT equivalent)
- declare chemistry as the major at UTC
Eligible majors include all BS Chemistry degrees (including biochemistry, STEM education, pre-medicine, and pre-dental). Non-chemistry majors (e.g. chemical engineering, biology, nursing, exercise science) are ineligible for the Grote Scholarship.
A chemistry major is ideal for anyone with an interest in medicine or medically-related research, dentistry, pharmacy, forensics, chemical industry, teaching chemistry, patent law, environmental issues, materials, or other science and technology related areas.
Scholarship selection is based on academic performance, interest in chemistry, and potential for continued outstanding achievement. Announcement of the scholarships will be made in middle to late April.
Application Requirements (Please note the deadlines for each requirement.)
- Submit a separate “Application for Admission” directly to the UTC Office of Admissions at http://www.utc.edu/admissions/. This must be completed by February 1, 2018.
- Request two individual letters of recommendation (one from a Chemistry teacher) be emailed as attachment by your recommenders to Dr. Rebecca Stimson (Rebecca-Stimson@utc.edu) by February 15, 2019. Do not submit the letters yourself. The letters must be emailed to Dr. Stimson by your recommenders as attached documents. Each letter must be typed on school letterhead and signed by the recommender.
- Grote Scholarship Application online was closed at 11: 59 PM on February 15, 2019.
For further information or questions, contact:
Dr. Rebecca Stimson
UTC Chemistry, # 2252
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37403
phone (423) 425-4482