Pharmacy Technician Academy
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need any prior experience for the program?
- You do not need any prior work experience to participate in CPE’s Pharmacy Technician Academy. The program is designed for all experience levels.
- Are there any prerequisites for the program?
- There are no prerequisites for the Pharmacy Technician Academy, but to participate in the externship, individuals must be at least 18 years old. Students must also be willing to submit to a background check, drug screening and provide immunization records in order to participate in the externship. Furthermore, certification exams require students to be at least 18 years old with at least a GED or high school diploma.
- What is a Clinical Externship?
- A clinical externship provides you with the opportunity to gain real-world experience by working side-by-side with professionals in the industry you've chosen to study. You may work in a variety of settings, such as a hospital, doctor’s office, clinic, dental office, pharmacy, or other location that’s relevant to your chosen field of study.
- How is the externship scheduled?
- An externship coordinator will reach out to you personally once you’ve completed the classroom portion to assist with externship placement. Placement will be based on your availability and location.
- Are there any funding options for the Pharmacy Tech Program?
- Our office provides short-term, low interest loans through Sallie Mae. For more information about loans, please visit our financial website for more details.
- CPE also partners with the American Job Center to provide WIOA funding for eligible participants. Please see our website for more information.
- Spouses of active duty military personnel may also be eligible for the MyCAA Scholarship.
- What certification exam should I take?
- There are two certification exams one can take. The Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam administered through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board is geared towards individuals working in hospital settings. The National Healthcareer Association’s ExCPT is typically suited for individuals working in a retail setting. However, some employers will recognize either certification.
- Which exam do employers prefer?
- Exam preference is dependent on the employer; however, the Pharmacy Technician Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) and the National Healthcareer Association ExCPT exam are two of the most nationally recognized certifications in the pharmacy technician field.
- How do I apply for the Pharmacy Technician Certification exam?
- How much is the certification exam?
- The PTCB Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam is $129
- The NHA ExCPT is $117
- How long does the certification exam take?
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam has 90 multiple choice questions with a two hour time limit.
- The ExCPT has 100 multiple choice questions with a two hour and ten minute time limit.
- Do I need any prior experience for the certification exam?
- Some certification exams do require a certain level of experience, but the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam and the ExCPT do not require prior experience.
- Where can I work?
- Individuals can work in either a hospital or retail setting.
- Local hospitals would include Erlanger and Parkridge.
- Retail settings would include CVS, Publix, Walmart, and Walgreens.
- Do we assist with job placement?
- Our office works with local healthcare providers such as Erlanger, Walgreens, as well as medical staffing companies such as Medical Personnel Services to assist with job placement.
- Where can I find job opportunities?
- Individuals can find job opportunities through job boards such as Indeed, LinkedIn, and Google.
- CPE frequently sends out job opportunities as well.