Woman working at a computer

Medical Billing and Coding Academy

Frequently Asked Questions


  • Do I need any prior experience for the program?
    • You do not need any prior work experience to participate in CPE’s Medical Billing & Coding Program. The program is designed for all experience levels.
  • Are there any prerequisites for the program?
    • There are no prerequisites for the Pharmacy Technician Academy, but certification exams require students to be at least 18 years old with at least a GED or high school diploma.
  • Are there any funding options for the Medical Billing & Coding Program?


  • What certification exam should I take?
    • Our program meets the requirements to sit for the American Health Information Management Association’s (AHIMA) Certified Coding Association (CCA) exam.
    • Our course also meets the educational requirements for the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam, however students will need to obtain or have two years of work experience.
  • Which exam do employers prefer?
    • Exam preference is dependent on the employer; however, both the CCA & CPC exams are two of the most nationally recognized certifications in the billing & coding field.
  • How do I apply for the Medical Billing & Coding Certification exam?
  • How much is the certification exam?
    • The CCA exam cost $199 for AHIMA members and $299 for non-members.
    • The CPC exam cost $325 for AAPC members and $425 for non-members (one free retake).
  • How long does the certification exam take?
    • The CCA exam has 100 multiple choice questions with a two-hour time limit.
    • The CPC exam has 150 multiple choice questions with a five hour and forty minutes’ time limit.
  • Do I need any prior experience for the certification exam?
    • The CCA does not require prior experience.
    • The CPC requires at least two years of work experience.


  • Where can I work?
    • Individuals can work in either a clinic or hospital setting such as Erlanger, Parkridge, Blood Assurance, or other types of physicians’ offices. Individuals can also work at insurance companies such as Umun and BlueCross BlueShield.
  • Do we assist with job placement?
    • Our office works with local healthcare providers such as Erlanger  as well as medical staffing companies such as Medical Personnel Services and the Judge Group to assist with job placement.
  • Where can I find job opportunities?
    • Individuals can find job opportunities through job boards such as Indeed, LinkedIn, and Google.
    • CPE frequently sends out job opportunities as well.

Financial Aid

Learn more about financial aid and discounts →

Refund Policy

See Refund Policy →