Medical Administrative Assistant Academy
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need any prior experience for the program?
- You do not need any prior work experience to participate in CPE’s Medical Administrative Assistant Program. The program is designed for all experience levels.
- Are there any prerequisites for the program?
- There are no prerequisites for the Pharmacy Technician Academy, but to participate in the externship, individuals must be at least 18 years old. Students must also be willing to submit to a background check, drug screening and provide immunization records in order to participate in the externship. Furthermore, certification exams require students to be at least 18 years old with at least a GED or high school diploma.
- What is a Clinical Externship?
- A clinical externship provides you with the opportunity to gain real-world experience by working side-by-side with professionals in the industry you've chosen to study. You may work in a variety of settings, such as a hospital, doctor’s office, clinic, dental office, pharmacy, or other location that’s relevant to your chosen field of study.
- How is the externship scheduled?
- An externship coordinator will reach out to you personally once you’ve completed the classroom portion to assist with externship placement. Placement will be based on your availability and location.
- Are there any funding options for the Medical Administrative Assistant Program?
- Our office provides short-term, low interest loans through Sallie Mae. For more information about loans, please visit our financial website for more details.
- CPE also partners with the American Job Center to provide WIOA funding for eligible participants. Please see our website for more information.
- Spouses of active duty military personnel may also be eligible for the MyCAA Scholarship.
- What certification exam should I take?
- Our program meets the requirements to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam.
- Which exam do employers prefer?
- Exam preference is dependent on the employer; however, the CMAA is one of the most nationally recognized certifications in the medical assistant field.
- How do I apply for the Medical Administrative Assistant Certification exam?
- Individuals can apply for the CPT exam through NHA’s website.
- How much is the certification exam?
- The NHA’s CMAA exam is $117
- How long does the certification exam take?
- The CMAA exam has 110 multiple choice questions with a two-hour and ten-minute time limit.
- Do I need any prior experience for the certification exam?
- Some certification exams do require a certain level of experience, but the CMAA does not require prior experience.
- Where can I work?
- Individuals can work in either a clinic or hospital setting such as Erlanger, Parkridge, Blood Assurance, etc.
- Do we assist with job placement?
- Our office works with local healthcare providers such as Erlanger as well as medical staffing companies such as Medical Personnel Services to assist with job placement.
- Where can I find job opportunities?
- Individuals can find job opportunities through job boards such as Indeed, LinkedIn, and Google.
- CPE frequently sends out job opportunities as well.