AP® Physics 1&2
The AP Physics 1&2 Summer Institute is designed to help teachers build the foundation for a successful AP Physics 1&2 program. Emphasis will be placed on the rigor of the material that students need to be successful with on the AP Physics 1&2 exam. A significant amount of time will be spent addressing how AP Physics 1&2 is an adjustment in not just what we teach, but how we teach. Laboratory investigations will be incorporated throughout the workshop, with special emphasis on transitioning your laboratory into a guided-inquiry based program. We will also focus on the exam and how best to prepare your students for it. We will review the requirements for the course audit and the syllabus requirements. Time will be allotted for best practices and for sharing ideas as a group. As an AP Physics 1&2 1 & 2 workshop, options will be presented during each activity to help prepare you to teach either or both courses. I am excited to both share my ideas and learn from you!
What Will You Learn
- AP Physics 1&2 Course and Exam Descriptions
- Hand-on Inquiry Labs
- Parts of the AP Exam and Question Types
- AP Physics 1&2 Workbook and TIPERs
- Learning Objectives and Science Practices
- Planning and Pacing
How Will You Benefit
- Develop a course pacing guide by unit/topic to incorporate the full scope of your AP Physics 1&2 course into your school's academic calendar
- Examine formative and summative assessment item types to identify and explain how pairings of content and science practices are the focus of instruction and also the targets of the AP Physics 1&2 exam
- Practice applying the scoring rubrics from the most recent AP Physics 1&2 exam to actual samples of student work
- Acquire ready-to-use strategies and pedagogical tools to use in your AP Physics 1&2 class
- Design and complete guided inquiry laboratory experiments
Meet the Instructor
Oather Strawderman has taught Physics in Lawrence Kansas for the past 23 years. He currently serves as the Science Department Chair at Lawrence Free State High School. His teaching experience includes all forms of AP Physics 1&2. He has worked as a Question Leader, Table Leader and Reader at the annual AP Physics 1&2 Reading in June since 2012. As a result of his experience as a Reader he has had the opportunity to be an item writer and reviewer for the AP Physics 1&2 1, 2 and C exams, including as a member of the AP Physics 1&2 Instructional Design Team helping to develop the resources on AP Classroom. As a College Board endorsed AP Physics 1&2 International Consultant, he has presented daylong and week-long workshops in 33 states. He has also presented at multiple AP Annual Conferences and AAPT National Conferences. In addition, Oather was honored to have had the opportunity to present International Workshops in Kunming China and Dubai United Arab Emirates. Oather is currently the Co-Chair of the AP Physics 1&2 2 Development Committee where he helps develop the exam and works on the preparation of the Curriculum Framework. His work on the Development Committee has also included membership on the AP Physics 1&2 Course Audit Scoring Guide Development Committee.
Oather can be reached at www.PhluidPhysics.com
How to Register
To register, please visit our registration portal.
If paying by check or purchase order, CPE staff will follow up with an invoice. Please reference invoice number on check.
If you have questions or need assistance registering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-425-4344.