AP® Micro and Macro Economics
New and Experienced Teachers
This workshop will focus on reviewing content from both the AP Microeconomics and Macroeconomics courses. Participants will also review exams as well as approaches to teaching the course content and preparing students for success on the AP Economics exams. The workshop will be interactive and emphasize the pedagogy and content chosen by participants. Recent changes to the exams and a mock exam grading will be included.
- Review of difficult content and approaches to teaching it
- Content, pacing, and test prep for both courses
- Lots of classroom resources and activities!
AM: Introductions (me, participants, this workshop, AP Econ, macro/micro courses) and resources
PM: Basic Economic Concepts
Homework: comparative advantage worksheet
“Graph the effect on equilibrium price and quantity in the market for _____SUV’s_____ if there is a change (increase) in ____the price of gasoline____.
AM: Go over homework, Macro questions
Homework: Macro FRQ
AM: Go over homework, Micro questions
Homework: Be ready to present a best Practice Micro FRQ
Draw a graph of a perfect competitor. Using 3 different colors, draw 3 different ATC curves illustrating a loss, a normal profit, and a profit. Bonus: use a 4th color to add an AVC curve illustrating loss/produce.
AM: Go over homework, questions, Best Practices Activities
PM: Reviewing and test Prep/sample grading
Homework: Prepare for your AP Econ course(s) and let me know if I can help with anything!
About the Instructor
Dr. Margaret Ray
Dr. Margaret Ray is a Professor of Economics at the University of Mary Washington, and the Director of the UMW Center for Economic Education. She was previously an Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond. In addition, she is certified to teach K-12 Social Studies and has a Masters of Education degree in Curriculum and Instruction. She lives on a horse farm in Fredericksburg Virginia with her two daughters. She has been involved with AP economics for over 20 years, in a variety of capacities including;
- AP Economics textbook author
- Microeconomics Test Development Committee member
- AP Economics Exam reader and table leader
- College Board endorsed AP Economics consultant
- Author of the Council for Economic Education’s Advanced Placement Economics Teacher’s Manual and Student Activities Guide for Macroeconomics
- High School AP Economics Instructor
- AP economics test item writer
- AP economics curriculum author
- AP course audit Senior Auditor
- AP National Conference Steering Committee member and presenter