During the 2018 AP® Biology APSI Workshop, participants will:
- Develop strategies designed to foster student achievement.
- Review and analyze content updates.
- Discuss the new AP Biology Curriculum Framework.
- Review the changes in the AP Biology exam.
- Identify methodology to incorporate inquiry into the AP Biology curriculum.
- Perform selected laboratory investigations and share ideas for implementing these activities in the classroom (time permitting).
- Identify how to develop and/or revise an AP Biology course.
- Network and develop a support system with other workshop participants.
Instructor - Brenda Royal
Brenda Royal is a native of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where she attended Middle Tennessee State University. She received her B.S. with a double major in chemistry and biology, her M.S. in biology, and her Ed. S. in curriculum and instruction. She has 30 years of classroom experience having taught AP Biology for over twenty years. She has been a Tennessee Teacher of the Year Finalist, an NABT Outstanding Biology Teacher for Tennessee, and a Metro Nashville Teacher of the Year Finalist. She received the Siemens Award for AP Instruction in 2006. She has been an AP Exam Reader since 2003 and currently teaches in Metro Nashville. She is an AP Biology consultant for College Board, Kentucky Science & Technology Corporation, and the National Math and Science Initiative, as well as an ambassador for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Biointeractive Program. She serves as the southeast regional coordinator and serves on the board of directors for the National Association of Biology Teachers. Her passions are ecotourism, having travelled to the Peruvian Amazon and the Galapagos Islands, and her four grandsons, all under the age of 6.