Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What does the CARE Team do?

A:  The CARE Team provides a resource for the faculty and staff of UTC to acquire assistance for emotional issues before they have a chance to escalate.

Q:  How can I contact the CARE Team?

A:  We can be reached at (423) 425-CARE (2273)

Q:  Who will take my referral?

A:  A trained member of the Human Resources staff will take the calls between 8-5.

Q:  Will my referral remain anonymous?

A:  As part of the CARE Team intake process, we do ask for the name and contact number of the person making the referral.  This is done in case the call is disconnected accidentally and we can call back immediately.  However, the name of the referring person is kept in the strictest of confidence and not shared with the CARE Team, rather only the facts of the call are shared.

Q:  How do I know if someone is distressed?  What signs should I look for?

A:  Signals of a distressed employee can come in a variety of ways.  Here are the most common:

  • Unusually aggressive behavior
  • Marked change in attendance/work behaviors
  • Depression/Apparent lack of energy
  • Marked change in personal hygiene
  • Smell of alcohol/slurring
  • Withdrawal/fearfulness
  • Dependence on others/fear of being alone
  • Statements or actions of self-harm (ex: cutting/scratching )
  • Statements of low self-worth or suicide
  • Anger/Paranoia
  • Extreme and inappropriate verbal outbursts
  • Obvious disorientation to persons, place
  • Destructive behavior aimed at equipment
  • Impaired balance
  • Obvious lack of care for co-workers’ wellbeing

Q:  Is this an avenue to “get back” at someone by making a bogus referral?

A:  No.  If you have an issue with a coworker, you need to work with your supervisor or HR to resolve it.

Q:  What is the best way to determine whether or not I should report my concerns?

A:   The best way to decide what is a case is asking the question “Is he/she distressing to him/herself or the community?”


Remember, if you face an immediate threat, call UTCPD at 425-HELP (4357) or 911.