COVID-19 Campus Recreation Information:
Campus Recreation has always been dedicated to delivering a healthy way of life to the Mocs Community. The health and safety of our members and employees is our top priority and it’s never been more important. Thank you for your cooperation in following the new practices and protocols outlined below.
(COVID-19 Video - Coming Soon)
To decrease the risk of coronavirus, Campus Recreation will be limiting participation and access to our facilities to current students, faculty and staff only. This aligns with the broader campus reintegration plan. Alumni, Affiliate, Retiree and MocOne members may continue to utilize our virtual fitness options until we can welcome you back to campus.
- Memberships are currently available to current students, faculty and staff.
- All memberships that were in effect when our facilities closed in March were frozen. A credit remains for any unused time on all memberships. The restart of any current membership will begin on the first use after the 2-week free trial.
- Payroll deduction memberships were frozen and will need to be restarted after the 2-week free trial.
- If any closures occur, campus recreation will again freeze member accounts and cease billing members. We will work closely with Human Resources to stop our payroll deduction.
All members are asked to follow signage, campus and state guidelines and CDC recommendations. Signs throughout the facility will assist you in your experience and safety. Upon entering the facility all members and staff will be asked to answer wellness questions and use hand sanitizer to help reduce the spread.
Please take responsibility for your own safety. Stay home if you are not feeling well. Clean equipment, use masks, practice social distancing, limit your time in the facility, and adapt your workout.
During our initial phase in of services the following area will be available to our members:
- The Aquatic Center
- Fitness Equipment
- Outdoor Equipment Rentals
- Climbing areas
- Locker Rooms
- Group Fitness
Some amenities may remain temporarily closed or only be available in a limited capacity. The following amenities are currently offline:
- Basketball Courts
- Group Fitness Rooms (GX Classes Only)
- UTC Sports Complex (Reservation Only)
- Fitness mats, Yoga mats and other porous equipment
- Maclellan Gym
Our professional and student staff will be completing wellness checks before starting each shift. All staff members who are unwell or have been exposed to someone with the virus will not be allowed in campus recreation facilities.
If you feel sick, have a fever, show any symptoms of COVID-19 or someone in your household is sick please do not enter campus recreation facilities. If in Doubt, Wait It Out. If you have any concerns about exposure or experience signs of illness, please follow campus protocols and see your doctor. It is important for all of us to remain vigilant about our own health and wellness, and to be thoughtful of others around us. We offer virtual workouts to help fill the void.
Whether we are physically open or not, we are still committed to serving our UTC community. Campus Recreation will continue our virtual options throughout the fall for all members who are attending classes or working remotely.
It takes a team to ensure everyone’s safety. Members, staff and custodial staff together will do their part. Please take responsibility for your own health and do your part by cleaning your machines and equipment. We ask all patrons to wipe down surfaces before and after use. Wipes will be available throughout the facility for use. Our campus recreation staff will assist with additional cleaning.
Campus Recreation is here to help, from a safe distance. All staff will be required to wear a mask while working — please do not ask a team member to remove their mask. After deep cleaning, they’ll wash their hands before refreshing gloves as needed.
Masks are required in all areas of the facilities with the following exceptions:
- While in the water. Patrons must wear masks on the pool deck until they enter the water.
- During high intensity cardiovascular activity on our cardio machines. Masks are recommended at this time, but not required due to health conditions and the physiological responses to increased heart rates during mask use. Masks are not recommended for use during moderate or intense cardiovascular exercise for persons with cardiopulmonary conditions such as asthma, COPD, hypertension and coronary heart disease.
- In Recovery Zones. Use of masks has been shown to increase heart rates by 8-10 beats per minute during high intensity cardiovascular activity. If you experience dizziness, lightheadedness, shortness of breath or balance issues, please social distance, enter a recovery zone and remove your mask until you are feeling better.
Please bring extra masks to replace any that become damp during exercise.
Members are asked to keep six feet between themselves and the next person. You will notice major changes to the layout of our equipment to allow for increased safety. Equipment, tables and pool deck furniture have been placed with social distancing in mind. Please do not move equipment without checking with staff members.
Plexiglass and tables have been placed in customer service areas to provide added safety for patrons and staff.
Members are asked to ease into their workouts. After time away from a regular routine, we ask all patrons to modify. Physiological adaptations to wearing masks, new levels of exercise and different routines may take 4-6 weeks.
Due to social distancing, spotting will not be allowed. We have removed dumbbells which may require a spot. Our Olympic benches have been removed. We encourage use of the squat racks with catch bars or Smith machine for bench workouts.
Members are asked to plan their workout in advance. Due to capacity restrictions and changes to our machine make-up, we ask that patrons refrain from distractions and focus on the workout. Certain machines will have designated time limits to allow for the maximum number of patrons to use the facilities. Please avoid cell phone usage while in climbing and fitness areas.
Campus Recreation encourages everyone to bring only the necessities into our facilities. Please check for all your belongings before leaving. We will only retain valuables such as wallets or credit cards.
- Ensure that you are feeling well
- Bring your own full water bottle
- Come dressed to exercise
- Bring only necessary items with you
- Plan your workout so that you can be as efficient as possible
- Bring an extra mask or 2 in case yours gets damp from perspiration or exhalation
While at Campus Recreation facilities:
- Use hand sanitizer or wash your hands frequently
- Wipe down equipment after use
- Use one piece of equipment at a time
- Practice social distancing
- Wear your mask
- Monitor how you feel during your workout and adjust accordingly
- Avoid touching your face
At the End of Your Workout:
- Check to make sure you have all your belongings
- Clean your equipment
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before leaving
- Get plenty of sleep to allow your body to recover
- Drink plenty of water
- Wash your clothes and other items
Thank you for your cooperation. Campus Recreation reserves the right to suspend memberships, refer patrons to Human Resources or the Dean of Students Office, or close facilities for the safety of our members.
If you have any questions about our COVID-19 policies, protocols, and phases,
please contact Campus Recreation at:
(423) 425-42513 | CampusRec@utc.edu