- Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be the UTC Advisors’ Council.
- Article II. Purpose
The UTC Advisors’ Council provides support to the academic advising community at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and is committed to serving the students at UTC. The organization accomplishes its mission by achieving the following goals:
- Providing quality professional development for advising
- Improving campus communication about issues related to advising
- Providing a forum for discussion of academic issues related to advising, including curriculum, policy, and procedure changes
- Training faculty and new advisors for orientation as well as regular advising.
- Article III. Membership
- The members of this organization shall be all professional advisors, faculty representatives from each college, and representatives from other areas with a vested interest in academic advising as appropriate.
B. Privileges and Responsibilities of Membership:
- Voting: Each member shall be entitled to one vote and must be present to vote.
- Privileges: Each member shall be entitled to all services of the organization.
- Participation: Each member shall be entitled to participate in all organizational events.
- Responsibilities: Each member shall attend meetings and offer suggestions to improve advising at UTC.
- Article IV. Membership Meetings
A. The meetings of the membership will be held on the third Wednesday of each month. The Leadership Team Chair may call additional meetings or reschedule the monthly meetings as necessary.
B. Quorum: At all meetings of the organization, a quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the membership.
- Article V. Leadership Team
A. The UTC Advisors’ Council shall be governed by a Leadership Team comprised of the following elected and appointed officers with the following officers selected from current membership. Elected positions: Chair, Chair-Elect, Training and Development Coordinator, Assessment Coordinator and Marketing and Communication Coordinator. Appointed positions: Enrollment Services Liaison.
- The Chair must be a member of the organization for at least two years before being elected as chair.
- The other officers must be current members of the organization.
C. Duties of Officers:
- The Chair shall preside at all meetings and be responsible for scheduling the meeting room, providing agendas for regularly scheduled meetings and training opportunities, contact other departments to coordinate professional development opportunities at regularly scheduled meetings, oversee the budget/spending, coordinate subcommittees, and help with public relations efforts of the Advisors’ Council.
- The Chair -Elect shall serve one term in preparation to assume the role of Chair the following year. The Chair-Elect shall fill the role of the Chair should that become vacant and subsequently fills the role of the Chair for the next regular term. The Chair-Elect shall assist the Chair in the execution of their duties and serves as a member of the Leadership Team and any other Committee that will prepare the Chair-Elect to assume the position of Chair. In preparation for the position of Chair, the Chair-Elect shall take minutes of Advisors’ Council and Leadership meetings, regularly communicate with Advisors’ Council members, post minutes on the Advisors’ Council website, take attendance, create newsletters to send to members of Council, maintain contact list for members of Council, contact new advisors on campus and invite them to join the Advisors’ Council, ensure the Advisement website is updated, and assist with other projects as needed.
- The Training and Development Coordinator shall lead the Training and Development Committee to further develop an advisor training curriculum for professional and faculty advisors, maintain training records, coordinate training offered to professional and faculty advisors primarily outside of the monthly council meetings, and assist with other projects as needed.
- The Assessment Coordinator shall lead the Assessment Committee to update the Advising Plan (values, mission, goals, student outcomes, and advisor outcomes) and collaborate with the Enrollment Services Liaison on the coordination of assessment measurement efforts for the Advising Plan.
- The Marketing and Communication Coordinator shall lead the Marketing and Communication committee in conceptualizing, organizing, and putting on the Advising Promotion each term.
- Enrollment Services Liaison shall report to/from the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Success. This person will collaborate with the Assessment Coordinator on the measurement of the Advising Plan. This person will manage the collection of data, create reports on the findings, and present results to campus stakeholders. This person will collaborate with UTC NSSE/FSSE Administrators to generate a more comprehensive assessment report, and assist with other projects as needed.
D. Terms of Office:
- Nominations for new officers shall be taken at the Advisors’ Council meeting in March. Officers shall be elected annually at the Advisors’ Council meeting held for April/May. Elections shall be by ballot, and a majority of the votes cast shall elect.
- The Chair-Elect will become the Chair the following academic year.
E. Vacancies and Removal:
- Resignations: A Leadership Team member may resign from their position at anytime, for any reason, by filing a written resignation with the Chair of the Leadership Team. Upon receipt of a written resignation, the Chair may initiate the process of filling the vacancy. If a vacancy in a Committee Chairperson occurs, the Leadership Team Chair shall appoint a new chair with the input from the outgoing Committee Chairperson. A vacancy in the office of the Chair shall be filled by the Secretary unless he or she is unable to serve, at which time the vacancy shall be filled byelection of the members by a majority of votes cast.
- Removal: Any member of the Leadership team may be removed or suspended from office by a vote of two-thirds of the members of the Advisor’s Council at a regular or special meeting. The person under consideration for removal shall be:
a. provided a written statement of the reason or reasons for removal or suspension and;
b. given the opportunity to be speak before the Leadership Team regarding the reasons for removal or suspension.
- Unresolved: Should the matter not be resolved to the satisfaction of the Leadership Team, the person under consideration will be:
a. notified at least thirty (30) days prior to bringing the matter before the full membership of the Advisors’ Council at a regular or special meeting and;
b. given the opportunity to be heard by the full Advisor’s Council membership at the regular or special meeting.
- The person under consideration shall not be counted in determining the presence of a quorum where the required two-thirds vote must be obtained for removal or suspension.
- Article VI. Committees
- The Chair, subject to the approval of the organization, shall appoint such standing, special, or ad hoc committees as may be required by the bylaws and as the Chair finds necessary. Committee Coordinators shall be appointed by and responsible to the Chair and Leadership Team, meeting with the Leadership Team as necessary.
- Participation on a committee, if standing, is encouraged to be a one-year commitment starting in June of each year. Committees will meet approximately once a month, or as needed.
- Article VII. Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in Robert's Rules of Order, Revised, shall govern the organization in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the bylaws or the special rules of order of the Advisors’ Council.
- Article VIII. University Policies
This organization shall abide by all applicable policies instituted by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
- Article IX. Amendments
These bylaws may be amended by a vote of two-thirds of the members of the Advisors’ Council at any regular meeting or at a special meeting called for that purpose. The membership shall be notified of adopted bylaw amendments by the most feasible means.
PDF Advisor Council Bylaws (Revised March 2022)