Welcome to the UTC Asia Program
Learn about our first extensive publication for teachers: UTC Asia Program 2018 NCTA Teaching Modules
Developed by seven NCTA Faculty Fellows the instructional modules encompass a variety of significant themes, but all share the following commonalities:
- An emphasis upon rich and intellectually engaging East Asia history and social science content
- Are designed so that teachers and students may use all or parts of each module
- Include exemplary digital resources and practical pedagogical strategies
- Fellows first taught early versions of their modules and subsequently made modifications
- Faculty Fellows working with UTC Asia Program staff further refined and augmented all modules
- Modules are focused but flexible; revisions resulted in more instructional options
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Asia Program is directed by Professor Lucien Ellington. The major mission of the Asia Program is the provision of educational opportunities for elementary, middle, and high school teachers.
The UTC Asia Program derives most of its funding from external sources. Projects encompassed in the Asia Program include:
- National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA)—Now in our 21st year!
- Editorship of the Association for Asian Studies teaching journal, Education About Asia, now in its 24th year!
- Short-term programs and digital resources for teachers interested in Asia. Teachers are welcome to use lesson plans and other teaching materials that are available on this site.