Communicate with Students
Ask your students to keep communication channels open. In addition to receiving alerts from the University, inform your students to make sure that they do NOT turn off Notifications in Canvas for announcements and conversations (email), which you will use to communicate about your plan for the course.
- Announcements are an ideal way to post time-sensitive information critical to course success. Add announcements for due dates for assignments and projects, changes to your syllabus, corrections/clarifications of materials, and exam schedules.
- Conversations allows you to send email to students in your course without launching a separate email program, such as Outlook or Gmail. You can send email to individual students or to groups of students.
- Chat with students who are online at the same time as you.
- Schedule online office hours and notify students of your preferred mode of communication (UTC email, Canvas chat, Zoom conference, phone call).
- UTC Quick Start Video: Communicating with Students in Canvas (16:31)