Emergency events such as natural disasters and disease outbreaks have the potential to disrupt scheduled face-to-face and hybrid courses. Faculty members can prepare for the possibility of campus closures through alternative instructional plans. UTC Learn Canvas supports academic learning across several core categories of class activities such as the ability to communicate with students, deliver course content, engage student participation, administer assignments and assessments, and track grades. In the event face-to-face classroom instruction is interrupted for an extended period of time, instructors can utilize UTC Learn Canvas to continue their instruction. For both novice and experienced UTC Learn Canvas users, the resources and strategies below will help you quickly switch to online course delivery.
- Email the Walker Center for Teaching and Learning - [email protected]
- Call the Walker Center for Teaching and Learning - 423-425-4188
- Contact Canvas Support 24/7 (use Canvas Support link in Canvas)
- UTC Technical Support, 423-425-4000
- Free Resources for Online Instruction
Working from Home? Need Equipment or Software?
- Know what you need through the end of summer? We recommend submitting your requests now. Please be aware that for as long as shelter-in-place mandates occur, the delivery of centrally-owned equipment is preferred, but we will work with you to determine if picking up department-owned or office equipment is the better option. Due to reduced operating hours for on-campus personnel, equipment will be shipped out on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Learning at Home? (Information for your STUDENTS)
- Planning ahead for the summer semester? We recommend informing your students of equipment and software requirements as soon as you can, so they can make their requests now. Please be aware that for as long as shelter-in-place mandates occur, we advise delivering the necessary equipment to your students. Due to reduced operating hours for on-campus personnel, equipment will be shipped out on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Learning from home IT resources
- Technology Equipment Request Form for Students
- Make sure your students have read and understood the following information about common equipment and resources available to those who need to borrow anything from the University in support of their online classes.
- Laptop or desktop computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Microphone – this may be built into your laptop or computer, or you may use an external device such as a USB microphone or headphones.
- Webcam – a camera may already be built into your laptop, but you can also use an external USB camera for video conferencing.
- Internet – either commercially provided (ex. Comcast, AT&T, etc), or a wireless hotspot through your mobile phone.