Smoke-Free Campus Policy
The purpose of this policy is to protect the health and safety of University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) students, employees, and visitors; to promote a healthy and safe work, educational, and living environment; and to comply with applicable state laws regarding smoking. This policy is enacted by UTC pursuant to the express authority granted by the Board of Trustees in UT Policy BT0022 - Policy on Smoking.
A. "Smoking" means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted cigar, cigarette (including an electronic cigarette or similar device), pipe, or other lighted tobacco product, in any manner or in any form.
B. "University" or "UTC" for purposes of this policy, means the institution, departments, offices, programs and services of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
C. "University-controlled property" means:
1. All land, grounds, buildings, structures, and any other physical property owned, operated, or otherwise controlled by the University; and
2. All motor vehicles owned, leased, or operated by the University.
Scope and Application
This policy applies to all University students, employees, contractors, and visitors. This policy is intended to comply with, and shall be interpreted consistently with, all applicable state law, including Tennessee Code Annotated § 49-7-135; the Non-Smoker Protection Act, Tennessee Code Annotated § 39-17-1801 et seq.; and Tennessee Code Annotated § 50-1-304.
Prohibition of Smoking and Littering of Tobacco Products In or On University-controlled Property
A. The campus of UTC is a smoke-free Smoking is prohibited in and on all University-controlled property, including in private vehicles when parked or operated on University-controlled property.
B. Littering with tobacco products or the remains of any tobacco products on University- controlled property is prohibited.
Cessation Resources for Students and Employees
Assistance with smoking cessation for students and employees is available through Student Health Services, the Office of Alcohol, Other Drug, and Mental Health Education, and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). More information about cessation resources can be found at https://www.utc.edu/smoke-free-utc.
Compliance and Enforcement
A. Any individual may report a good-faith concern about a violation of this policy using the following procedure:
1. Concerns about employees should be directed to the employee's immediate supervisor or Office of Human Resources;
2. Concerns about students should be directed to the Office of Student Conduct;
3. Concerns about contractors should be directed to the contract administrator or the Office of Budget and Finance; and
4. Concerns about visitors should be directed to the UTC Police Department.
B. Violation of this policy may subject individuals according to the following:
1. Violations by an employee may result in disciplinary action in accordance with applicable University policies (e.g., UT Policy HR0580 - Code of Conduct, UT Policy HR0525 – Disciplinary Action, or the UTC Faculty Handbook);
2. Violations by a student may result in disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct;
3. Violations by a contractor may result in a contractor being directed to leave University property, in accordance with Comp. R. & Regs. § 1720-01-02; and
4. Violations by a visitor may result in a visitor being directed to leave University property, in accordance with Comp. R. & Regs. § 1720-01-02.
C. Nothing in this policy shall be construed to limit a supervisor's ability to establish, regulate, or limit employee work breaks, whether for smoking or otherwise.
This policy does not apply to smoking for controlled research or educational, theatrical, or religious ceremonial purposes, provided prior written approval has been obtained from the dean, director, or department head responsible for the facility in which the smoking will occur.
History and Review
This is the first version of this policy.
B. Periodic Review
This policy is effective January 1, 2019. This policy shall be reviewed on or before January 1, 2024.